Double Glazing Salesman

No need to guess since they are all the same...

Best way to buy double glazing if you do want to buy from a big national company is get rough measurements yourself, an idea of what type and design of windows you want, then spend an afternoon or two going round showrooms. Tell them what you're doing, ie going round all their competitors, examine the windows while they tot up their best deal to make sure you're getting what you want in terms of quality. Say thanks, leave with the quote and go to the next place.

You'll find you'll get the 'best' price without the sales hassle. Once you've decided on price/quality which company to go for, invite the surveyor round to measure properly. You should never pay more than 50% of their list price or you're not getting a good deal.

NEVER invite someone into your house in the evening!

Buy on credit where possible (some may have an extra incentive for you to do so, but make sure you can pay off instantly without penalty) as this helps if the company goes into receivership (2 of my 3 final choices did despite all having traded for 25+ years)

Reply to
Alan

I've been reading all your comments with interest - I'm not surprised that many people have had a similar experience. To answer some of the questions:

- The quote was for 3 windows (roughly 2.5 x 1m), 2 smaller windows (1.5 x 1m), french doors, a new front door and guttering with facias.

- I take the point about finance - but the point of considering a large national firm is to minimise the risk of the firm going bankrupt (although I appreciate this is always a possibility). Because of the work I've already done to the house (brand new central heating, complete re-wiring, new carpets, decoration etc) my credit cards a maxed - which is why I wanted to save up the money first. The agreement was that I pay a 10% deposit and the rest on/after satisfactory completion of the work.

- I received a phonecall from the salesman's manager yesterday asking questions about how it all went. When he asked if I would consider his company I said no, because it was so frustrating trying to get the bottom figure out of them, and I was fed up with the price moving. He then asked if I would like the bottom figure from him - =A36300! That's a third off the starting price! Draw your own conclusions...

Reply to
Mark_S

A third off the starting price! Yeah right. If you offered him £4100 he'd probably take it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yep, either this or there will be a LOT more making good !! I've done a few window refits and have never not sawn through the frame to collapse it.

Reply to
Staffbull

Are you sure?

Have you tried getting a bathroom fitted.

tim

Reply to
tim(yet another new home)

It certainly is.

People may remember this company

OK, that's understandable. However the sequence should be to pay off the credit cards first, unless you watch for the 6 and 9 month interest free honeymoon deals. These are likely to be your most expensive form of credit. Then for the windows, look for a 6 month interest free deal provided that you are certain that you can make all the payments in the period. Alternatively save the money anyway, and again go for an interest free or other credit vehicle with no early repayment penalty.

Whatever you do, don't hand over 90% in cash or by cheque on completion of installation. It will leave you completely unprotected.

That's fine. He didn't want to leave money on the table if he could get a higher price. Now he has nothing to lose. He's done the work by visiting and spending time (which does have a cost), and now has a situation where

- he has competition (in which case you are probably buying on price). Having invested, he might as well make his best bid and move on.

- you buy from a competitor. He will have succeeded in forcing down their margin. If it happens enough times, the competitor goes broke reducing the competition.

- you aren't going to buy anyway, in which case there is no deal to lose.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not personally, but two relatives got B & Q to give bathroom estimates and there was no pressure to buy. Obviously Dolphin could be a different matter, but then who would invite a Dolphin salesperson into their home? I was, of course, generalising.

Reply to
Handy