Domestic Cat 5 cabling and management

I said the same of 10M ethernet. Fixed wiring will be in place a long time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yup. File transfer between my machine are seriously better at 100Mbps than 10Mbps. It is after all only 12.5MBytes/sec...think in terms of a

500 megabyte file...not huge by todays standaed if graphical.

gong to 1Gbps is 4 seconds rather than 40 seconds.

A SATA disk is around 3Gbps So even a gigabit network is three times slower than raw file access..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep but then again I use a 800 MHz pentium for a lot of work;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

The message from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Beats me why one should go to all the trouble to install a decent network setup and yet fail to install even a simple PABX for the landline/s.

Reply to
Appin

Darkness, no lighting, intense cold, starvation, war, no telly, no Internet, no broadband, no telephone.

Certainly nothing requiring structured wiring in a 3 bed semi unless this 3 bed semi becomes the seat of the new government.

Reply to
Mike

Because after a lifetime of dialling 9 for an outside line some of us just want to pick up a phone and dial a number.

But then some of us (like me!) can't really see the point of flooding a house with structured wiring when three or four well chosen cable runs of cat 5 and a decent wireless router fulfill most requirements.

Fit one wired phone in a suitable place near the NTE and a one or two handset VoIP capable cordless plugging directly into the broadband router and it's sufficient to cover the entire house and other locations such as a home office at the bottom of the garden, or the garage or workshop.

Reply to
Mike

Homeplug is an alliance not a closed system ,so prices are coming down and speeds up:

Adam Aglionby

I can see your glass is half empty. Mines half full. B-)

Got to admit we are at the turning point between your description of the future and one that is similar to our current one but far far more sustainable. It's going to be painful but at least Obama seems to realise it unlike his, in the pocket of Big Oil, predecessor.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Neither the builder nor the archtect said anything about preparing for the apocalypse.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

manufacture to (even if the manufacturer base is widening).

Did you look at the Flash slideshow on their homepage? The US mains plug looks scarily primitive!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I can't imagine why I'd want one!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Its a curious point.

Many people don't even think of doing it. they just want 'phones like they are used to' everywhere..or DECT.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The things we CAN afford WILL be internet.

Whether we are cold and dark depends largely on whether the prejudice against nuclear power prevails or not.

same for starvation, really. Given the energy, the food can be grown.

War? yes..thats a very real possibility.

No Telly? Yup. end of commercial broadcasting for sure, and decent films.

But scads of Internet Broadband and telephone. These things are cheap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well in my case is was a simple question of a large house, with two lines and many phones..more than could be reliably driven by the BT line.

Plus three possible 'front doors' needing bells.

And a construction that is very radio opaque. DECT a nogo

A 3 into 8 PABX using the cheapest scrap phone plus three doorphones did the job beautifully.

Plus when I have cooked supper, I can phone my somewhat deaf wife, rather than shouting up the stairs, which irrtates her.

But the real bonus is being able to transfer the mother in law to her without having to run up and down the stairs..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course..... actually I'd like to know about running a fibre optic cable.

Reply to
whisky-dave

whisky-dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

Lookup "Siemon" - we used their fibre terminations at Imperial College, was quite easy to do with minimal tools and a bit of practise. Mind you, "proving" the cable (other than plugging it in and seeing if it worked) needed rather expensive equipment.

?GI_ID=fi_lc-field-installable-connectors

Tim S

Once you have a decent network you can use Asterisk, no need for phone lines at all.

Reply to
pcb1962

Running the cable is easy. Terminating it is not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

It's not actually *that* difficult these days. Systems vary - but the Siemon crimp SC system was taught to me in about 15 minutes and the special tools involved a) the correct crimps; b) a special little measuring and snapping thingy. The system was "dry" as in no funny oils or epoxies.

I'm not saying it's simple, but with an instruction sheet it's within the remit of someone with a steady hand and good eyesight.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S