DIYer down

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Yes

Not quite sure why yet, but the police have been called in for some reason

He's got an Ariel square four hidden away somewhere too

Reply to
geoff

Easier than catching a criminal.

Do you inherit it?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think his brother will get in there and nab it

Reply to
geoff

Don't they have to call in HSE for such things, anyway? It will count as a workplace accident, I would think.

I had to look up what that was on Google.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Andrew, you must be younger than some of us :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Made me twitch - I've always wanted one of those, especially the later model that ran below fusion temperature.

Reply to
PeterC

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Perhaps he was Welshpool's answer to ARW and an enraged husband happened.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If he was working and not DIYing then I would expect the HSE to be involved.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Philistine. (bet you have to look that up too!)

I heard them described as 16MPG. Oil that is - only 4MPG for the petrol...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

At his age, I doubt it

He predates TMH by some 50 years (it would have been his 80th birthday next week

Reply to
geoff

Yes - slightly different story coming out now.

He was working on a carport roof at commercial premises

Reply to
geoff

I flattered Geoff, but that would make him 109 :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They live long and prosper in our family

He's never sold cleaning products AFAIK

He's aleways been a handyman

I remember going around with him during job a bob week once when I was a kid

slave labour ...

Reply to
geoff

Well, a "bob" is a shilling, i.e. 5p.

Minimum wage (16 year old) is £3.57/hr.

So a bob gets you about a 50 second job, which is about the attention span of your average 16 year old today.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ah, but when Geoff were young (1960?) a bob was worth a bob. Now its worth

77p. Get you nearly 15 minutes.

Shouldn't it have been 'groats' when Geoff were young though?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mine's that even rarer beast, the dry-brick chimney - I really must get round to sorting it before the autumn weather sets in. At least I don't feel too unsafe up there, as long as I stay to one side of the ridge (I can do most of it from there), any fall would mean rolling down the roof and dropping a whole three inches onto the flat roof of the extension - which is quite wide enough that I would not go rolling off the other edge!

SteveW

Steve Walker

Today seemed more like early winter. Best part of 15mm of rain and a rather cool NNE'ly.

But bricks are small and light. The top of this chimney is blocks of stone, 3" thick 12" or more wide and >6" deep, they'll have a bit of weight to them... and it's always surprising how big chimney pots are when you get up close. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's alright then, their weight will keep them in place :)

Yes. At least ours are basic ones, not the giant, Victorian type. I last saw mine up close a few weeks ago when I went up to remove the TV aerial

- I decided that the 12' pole was putting a bit too much strain on the brickwork in windy weather. I've left the lashings in place though to help hold everything together. Unfortunately I can't dedicate any time to it this weekend, as we're buying presents and preparing for our eldest son's birthday party tomorrow.

SteveW

Steve Walker

Which reminds me, and brings the thread full circle

This particular uncle used to help Fred Dibnah with his demolitions when he was a teenager

Reply to
geoff

Which reminds me that "Publishers World" cheap book shop have a Fred Dibnah book in, =A310 down to =A32 with lots of pretty pikchers, and a 3- DVD set, for anyone interested.

Owain

Reply to
Owain