DIY skills

Now (at our local grammer) they do "DT" get to use CNC drills & mills (or routers), laser cutters and vacuum forming kit, and learn a bit about PIC programming. What I could have done with that lot at school!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yup. To quote wakypeadia on the subject:

"Although the manufacturing sector's share of both employment and the UK's GDP has steadily fallen since the 1960s, data from the OECD shows that manufacturing output in terms of both production and value has steadily increased since 1945. A 2009 report from PricewaterhouseCoopers, citing data from the UK Office for National Statistics, stated that manufacturing output (gross value added at 2007 prices) has increased in 35 of the 50 years between 1958 and 2007, and output in 2007 was at record levels, approximately double that in 1958.[1]"

based on:

John Rumm

I had a mixture at what a Grammar and Technical School. They later merged it with the Secondary Modern next door and eventually shut it down.

A year and a bit of woodwork, two years of Latin, five years of French. Nearly four years of metalwork, learning all sorts of skills.

Best subjects at GCE O level were metalwork and French.

What I didn't learn at school I taught myself, as an avid reader of my dad's Practical Householder and Do-It-Yourself magazines and the Readers' Digest DIY Manual.

Reply to
Ramsman

And more to the point, your useless 90% is probably different from the useless 90% of each of you class mates.

Reply to
John Rumm

If its for cutting the excess wood of the bit sticking up you could give her the proper tool.. a nice flexible pull saw. Followed by a sanding block.

They taught my daughter how to use a soldering iron when she was 10. Shame they didn't tell her not to hold it like a pencil.. she will never forget that now.

Reply to
dennis

Oh, absolutely. That's kind-of the point.

Reply to
Huge

I didnt't learn these things from school. They came partly from my father (seeing him make and repair things) but mainly, in tiny steps, from a pleasure I always had at doing something I had never done before. This last seems to be rather lacking these days - the thought that "I might be able to do that, let's have a closer look" seems to have been replaced with "this doesn't work properly, I'll have to pay someone to fix it".

People don't seem even to be able to describe what is wrong when asking for help. The most minor investigation beyond "it doesn't work" seems to be considered too daunting.

Old codger Cambridge

Reply to
RobertL

Soylent Green[1] factory feedstock?

[1]
Robin

He he. Did they also tell her not to try and catch it when she drops it? I won't do that again...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We (boys' grammar school) did woodwork OR pottery. Woodwork was oversubscribed and I got landed with pottery.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Some Ikea stuff is pretty time-consuming to do.

This one (I think) took me ages to put together:

tim....

The ice skating was one of the few useful non-A level things I learned...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think they work there...

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Best way to cure that is to reply: "Have you been to the Doctor about it?"

Reply to
Tim Streater

Previously these sorts were cannon fodder but now even the armed forces have standards. So I guess they go into politics.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ouch! Certainly not something that she'll forget. In my case there are a number of things, but the one that stands out is aged about 7 I decided to help my dad and grandad who had been doing some carbon arc brazing on a car by straightening the generator's hanging exhaust - large, LARGE, blisters along all four fingers, my thumb and across the palm :(

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ice skating was in the Sixth Form, when we had a choice of what we could do on Games afternoon.

Reply to
Huge

Fencing for me, foil & epee, not post & rail, Great fun!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

We had all the kit and a couple of pupils who went to fencing classes elsewhere, but we were never allowed to take it up at school. All the PE teacher was interested in was football, football, football. The school team were good, so he spent all its time pushing it, even to the extent that when the weather was bad and the field was frozen solid, the team practiced in the gym, as it was too dangerous outside and they could get hurt before the weekend's match - the rest of us were still forced to do football outside, 'cos we didn't matter! The end result was that I loathed games lessons and did my best to avoid them.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We were never offered it. I'd have done it otherwise. But going ice skating with a lot of girlies wasn't so bad. :o)

Yuck. Hated it then, hate it now. Fortunately it wasn't rammed down our throats at school. The only PE teacher I recall was heavily into trampolining, which I liked too.

I loathed games until the 6th Form. And once I arrived at University I discovered squash, which I played 2 or 3 times a week for the subsequent

20 years or so.
Reply to
Huge