DIY on the wireless

Did anybody else hear Archive on 4 on BBC Radio 4 this evening?

if you want to listen on-line)

Entitled The Age of Emulsion it looked from the heyday of DIY to the era of GALMI and was presented by Laurence Llewelen-Bowen. Please don't be put off by the last bit: he was really quite acceptable. And it looked at the lack of DIY skills amongst the modern generation and how that came about.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

On an American internet station they used to have a series called The Blind Handyman, which basically told people to do stuff if you cannot see. I bet nobody would run such a show here, H/S etc!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

on 23/06/2019, Brian Gaff supposed :

I was recently watching something where they mentioned how H/S has changed and been tightened up over the years. I served my time in those bad old days, where no one much bothered about H/S, you just got with it. I do think H/S has gone to far these days, inventing risks which simply do not exist.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Modern H&S makes you assess the risk and consider means of reducing it if appropriate. In a normal working environment it makes good sense for people who aren't bright enough to see danger.

The consequence of death and injury can outdo the cost of an assessment many times over.

The stupidities come with areas such as a school outing. I recall a LA stopped a school charity walk because there places on the walk where children couldn't be seen from a vantage point.

Reply to
Fredxx

That's the trouble, when it goes too far.

One that I have seen a lot lately is roadworks, with a lane closure, where the lane is extended way past the roadworks, right up to a junction, to allow occasional work vehicles to rejoin the road without having to merge with traffic - with the consequence that for a year or more at a time, there are huge tailbacks every day, as the junction's capacity has been halved. In one cases, the tailbacks run so far back that they run back to the motorway and are causing standing traffic on the motorway!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Fredxx explained on 23/06/2019 :

Exactly. Then there are the sites where they have to wear goggles, yellow jackets and hats all the time, when there is zero risk from anything.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Steve Walker wrote on 23/06/2019 :

Which dramatically increases the risks on the roads, for those trying to use them. So many accidents happen where there is unexpected standing traffic.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I would say the risk assessment was carried out by an incompetent. I see it all too often.

Reply to
Fredxx

In message <qem5te$rlq$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Nick Odell snipped-for-privacy@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes

Just spent a pleasant hour listening to that. Thank you.

Reply to
Graeme

I saw Brian Cox venturing into some ice cave on TV last night. He was wearing all the latest safety get-up. The point of the protective helmet foxed me for a minute but then I thought maybe there was a risk of a drop of melted ice hitting him on the head.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

My favourite was an "open plan" lab with metallurgical microscopes round the corner from the fume cupboards (yes I know that is not a good idea). But you were *supposed* to wear eye protection when using the microscopes :-)

Reply to
newshound

Downloaded on phone for bed-time listening. I do love iPlayer.

Reply to
newshound

Absolutely no need for H&S. Too many people anyway. Bringing back asbestos and all the various substances now controlled would reduce the population nicely. And even more to the point, shorten the lives of those working with it, rather than the bosses. A win win situation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've done a risk assessment to back up your claims. then? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I certainly remember visiting a sewage works, where an electrician was connecting a control panel that I had designed, on a settling tank scraper bridge. They insisted he wear a hard hat, despite it getting in his way working in the panel and the panel being the highest point on the site! There was absolutely no way that anything could drop on him and he wasn't walking about where he might bang his head on something. Just a case of no common-sense being used and sticking to a rigid rule where there was a) no possible danger from not doing so and b) it was interfering with his work.

Similarly, on an industrial site, they insisted on safety harnesses for "working at height", despite the scaffold having their feet only 3 feet from the ground as they only needed to gland-off the cables on the top of the panel. There was no way that the harnesses could arrest a fall in that distance, unless they were so taught already that they couldn't move to work!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

and there was the refurbished theatre in Newcastle where the council's H&S person wanted a safety rail between the stage & the orchestra pit. I production I was stage managing had the council's H&S lady want Romeo to wear a climbing harness when coming out of Juliet's room.

Reply to
charles

Back at school, one of our technology projects was called (rather uncomfortably) Spirit Level For The Blind. An audible spirit level that buzzed differently at different angles, and was silent when level.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

I once picked up a hire car at 5am that had been delivered to my work place and the keys left at the security gate. The security guards had been told not to release the keys to any hire car until a risk assessment form had been filled in. I duly filled in the form ticking all the boxes for a very high risk (long working day with 400 miles of driving etc.) and handed the form back. The security guard filed the form without looking at it and immediately handed over the keys. There was no comeback and I'll bet no-one ever read the filled in form.

I also once had to fill in a risk assessment for journey that involved a taxi picking me up at home, driving me to the airport, catching a UK internal flight and a taxi the other end taking me to a hotel!

Reply to
alan_m

Oh, sometime sonewhere there is aqlways some borde jobsworth doing that.

Like the time I took a PC acroos Erurope, hetting a cernet stamped at every bodredert.

I ended up in copenhagen hacing driven hu germany..but left from

*Ejsberg* via te ferry back to the UK

Months later I got a letter in Danish presumably complaining that I had bought a computer in to Denmark, but it had not left.

I sent a photocopy of the exit stamp and heard no more

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

*don't* make the noise?
Reply to