DIY humidifier

Too expensive?

dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts" saying something like:

He's good at that though, isn't he? He knows everything. We are not worthy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

As do peas in a very large (fish and chip shop) salt cellar.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Yup.

It sure ain't lack of humidity, and as a fellow sufferer, I know what's around right now. Crops are rusting badly here. Also 3 a.m. is the worst time. Exactly when I wake up gasping.

Yep, they are arern't they?

Based on very precise facts: the time of year, the time of day, the incidence of mildew, and the symptoms.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No you are not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

stuart noble wrote: ...

My experience, running a clean room with full air conditioning, is that some people felt discomfort at anything under 50%.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , Derek Geldard writes

Err what ?

the rest of the world uses rice - it works

"pass the salt"

"sorry, only mushy peas here ..."

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

An ultrasonic mister ?

You perve

Reply to
geoff

Seriously, why not just keep a spray mister to hand, some of the ones for indoor plants give a very fine mist and it would not wet anything much if the air is really all that dry. 'They' will not be doing much more than blowing air over a wick, even with expensive humidifiers, after all.

Spamlet

For the reasons mentioned by others, you don't really want to raise the humidity level everywhere, you just want to boost it in the immediate vicinity of your eyes. Does that suggest any ideas? How about some sort of damp flannel suspended around your neck? Sounds silly, but maybe it isn't.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

There seem to be 3 types. You have a fan sucking in air and passing it over a wet pad, or an atomiser type such as they use in horticulture, or something which puffs out steam every now and then (often disguised as a plant trough). Cold, bright winter weather is where indoor RH is at its lowest, so U.S.A is probably the place to look for humidifiers.

Reply to
stuart noble

Is it whilst using a computer?

Reply to
Jim

Thanks - this is the kind of thing I was considering, but trying not to get one of the ones with multiple flashing 'mood' lights etc.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Yes, but also while driving, watching TV, and generally being indoors. I know that computer use can be a problem because it encourages you to blink less but this is more far reaching, unfortunately.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Interestingly, the humidity is currently showing 63% (mature student son just arrived with a month's washing) and my eyes feel much less tressed.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I was going to suggest you install one of the bits of software that forces you to take regular breaks, such as

you blinking properly would be the other question - it's more often a problem with wearing contact lenses (I used to use gas permeable lenses which is where I ran into it) but I guess improving your technique can only help:

Jim

I will use small words.

I have dry eyes. Ow, ow, it hurts.

Look - the hu-mid-ity is low. The air is dry.

Ah, that is better.

Oh look, the hu-mid-ity is high. The air is moist.

I wonder how to make the air moist all the time?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Mine are itchy and watery. It's that time of year. And life.

Its the high humidity. Encourages fungal growth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It isn't. Its high.

Summer air is teh highest humidity iondoors if you havbe central heating. Winter air is DRY

It isn;t.

Nature does that for you, but the easiest way is to cool the room.

Dry eyes are of course piss all do with air humidity. Its down to tear ducts swelling slightly due to irritation.

Remove irritation, tear ducts work.

I am fine once I get in the car and close the windows, and let the pollen filter take the strain.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher