DIY for insuracne - probably OT

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, "Dave Plowman (News)" writ:

This happens every year with my car insurance. Huge uplift in premium on the renewal notice but, one phone call later, the price drops.

Last year = 293.00, renewal this year = 345.00, after phone call =

263.00.
Reply to
Percy

Could be your post code which is the problem. If its got a bad reputation for any reason they tend to just pile on the pounds.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Insurance is going up to pay for all the flood damage. There is a row going on with the gov over flood prevention schemes, there was a holdoff pending the outcome. But now there is a bust up. A lot of people won't get insurance and others won't be able to afford it.

Reply to
harryagain

harryagain

I don't see why I should pay more to "insure" some idiot that wants a house on a flood plain. I also don't think its good value to keep building flood defences, they should remove the houses from the flood plains.

Reply to
dennis

I don't know about removing the flood defences, but why should some cheap floodable land suddenly become valuable because the rest of us pay to insure the houses built there?

Reply to
GB

Much of the recent flooding wasn't of traditional flood plains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Define traditional. We have been going through a building program and adding flood defences that move the flood plains. Build a flood defence and flood someone else appears to be the norm ATM.

Reply to
dennis

Check also when you get a renewal quote that the terms are the same.

If the renewal quote looks reasonable check the small print - an excess of hundreds of quid may have been added (to the existing excess) making claims of less than £500 pointless.

Reply to
alan

Are they not the same organisation that charges an arm and leg for car breakdown insurance? :) Saga is just a brand/badge put on products to fool those over the age of 50 :(

I've had insurance with Saga on more than one occasion. They are just as bad as every other insurance (broker?) company and will bump up the prices by 30/40% on the renewal quote.

Reply to
alan

This isn't about going for the cheapest - it's about hiking the price for being loyal. Same cover, same insurance company but with two different prices, one for being a new customer and the other for being an existing customer.

Consider also that you may not be dealing with an insurance company directly when buying insurance. You are not being insured by Tesco, Saga, the AA, Swinton etc. They just go an find the deal where they can most commission.

Many of the competing insurance brands are actually the same companies trading under multiple identities. Often two brands with the same parent will quote vastly different rates.

Reply to
alan

In message , sweetheart writes

Hello blast from the past

What are the rebuilding costs, not the "value" of the property

What contents do you NEED to insure?

Now go back and check what they all have to offer, show no loyalty, they don't

Reply to
geoff

Claims of under £500 frequently are pointless since they will just up the insurance premiums as a result and get it back off you twice over.

Provided you can stand a £300-500 excess that is one way to bring down the extortionate cost of insurance.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

One of the root causes - too much land drainage. For decades now, every fcker and his dog have been draining all the acres they can find to get it into production and get some money for it - the result; as soon as rain hits it, it's whizzed off down the drains into the rivers and no longer gets a chance to percolate down through the soil as it used to. Many of the ponding areas have vanished for the same reason.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That is certainly true .I live on a public footpath and farm track ( at the end) . The farmers changed methods about 15 years ago and it results in a "stream" of water when it rains which makes the footpath impassible. The council had to sort it out with additional gullies. Whilst there is no flooding, it certainly makes for more boggy land and we are on light well graining land.

Reply to
sweetheart