Disposal of petrol?

I had an old lawnmower that used 4-star LRP. I've now replaced it with one that uses unleaded, but still have a couple of 5-liter cans of LRP that I no longer need. How/where can I dispose of it?

Reply to
Ian

Try freecycle

Reply to
Camdor

Ian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That must be ancient juice - LRP was generally phased out in 2002-3... It's probably not a lot of use to anybody as petrol any more (and may well have aided the death of the old mower) - so probably the waste oil recycling tank at the local tip, unless you know somebody who'd like it for use as a brush-on degreaser.

Reply to
Adrian

I just used mine through the lawnmower. Although the new one had an engine that was now happy with unleaded (hard valve seats), it had no _need_ for unleaded (no catalyst) and would cheerfully burn old leaded.

As your old petrol is LRP (which is lead free, it just has an added upper cylinder lubricant), then almost anything will burn it, bar a few cars (Mercs) with fragile lambda sensors.

If it's old though, dilute it with new stuff to avoid starting problems.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You could give it to the local fire station.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

in the new mower.

If it hasn't got a catalyst, it wont do any harm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nah. mix it with new. it will run and pay its way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It might if it has a lambda sensor not that a cheap lawnmower is likely to have one.

Reply to
dennis

Why not place the cans over a burning gas ring to evaporate it.

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

If push comes to shove, pour it pint or two at a time onto a large area of concrete and let it evaporate (about 20-30 minutes on a warm day).

Do this away from the house, car and sources of ignition (ie smoking passers by)

Reply to
Tim Watts

If the lawn mower has a catalytic convertor leaded petrol will kill that. If it doesn't it can be used safely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or give it to someone that knows what to do with it

NT

Reply to
NT

If the OP has a diesel car, he can use it to dilute the DERV in his tank when winter comes.

No more than 10% petrol to 90% diesel, so no more than one 5 litre can per tank.

Reply to
Bruce

What's the problem with just putting it in the lawnmower? Mix it well with "new" petrol.

Reply to
Huge

Bruce gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If it's a common-rail diesel, that may just be the most expensive bit of bad advice given for quite a while...

Reply to
Adrian

Absolutely nothing wrong. Just adding one more option...

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

LRP isn't leaded - it's cat-safe.

Mind you, any lawnmower which required the valve seat protection of LRP/ leaded must be damn near prehistoric.

Reply to
Adrian

I haver never seen a lawnmower with such. I beleive lawnmowers are actually exempted specifically from cats, and in general, produce in total more pollution than all the cars on the roads put together.

Allegedly.

And it's LRP, not leaded petrol in this case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nowt wrong with a 40 year old B&S. My Hayter is getting on for 25 years now..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good Lord, are there any lawnmowers with cats?

Reply to
Huge