Disposable Nappies!

I notice supermarkets use a "snake" of silica gel or similar to mop up leaks from freezers

old bath towel and a shallow tupperware box always works for me ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

9.99 for 3 - NOT a bargain.

to 45p each

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hi

I'm often faced with the 'turn the water off & disconnect the pipe' scenario. Always get that 'pipe full' of water that goes everywhere.

It occurred to me that disposable nappies are incredibly absorbent - a little Google research reveals that they contain a chemical which absorbs water & turns into a gel.

Apparently a single disposable nappy will hold between 3 and 5 litres of water!

Given how cheap a pack is, it seems the ideal solution, especially when removing radiators.

Anyone ever tried it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They are probably quite effective at mopping up the results of plumbing activities as well.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

It sounds a good idea.

I wonder if it'll cope with inky-black sludgy water!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

How much pi$$ does a baby emit at one go? I thought *I* produced quite a bit after a drinking session... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yes but I'll bet there will be just too much for the one you have to hand :-)

They're also excellent for removing oily water from a boat bilge under an engine...

Reply to
JohnW

FWIR the "absorbent chemical" is starch, and it takes quite a long time to absorb the water and swell up. So probably wouldn't cope with

40 feet of pipe being disgorged in 2.5 seconds.

ASDA used to do a dirt cheap liquid detergent Ca 15p that was *ace* at removing that. They don't sell it any more (it was too good), but nevertheless we know it is possible ...

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com declared for all the world to hear...

Well, as a father to a 4-month old baby boy, I can tell you that they cope with inky brown sludgy shit without too much difficulty!

Reply to
Jon

Not a lot, but the concept of modern hydrogel-filled disposables is that you only need to change the baby once every three or four days - so the contents do tend to mount up a bit over that time...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Have you seen what they charge for the "pro" product!

for 3 - NOT a bargain.

Reply to
dom

Just been looking on the interweb & its seems they use a moisture-absorbing gel of some kind.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So do you stop when you find one that satisfies you .Sleeps right through ,doesn't puke over your shoulder etc etc , :-)

Reply to
Stuart B

They're convenient, but the same super-absorbent polymer is cheaper if you buy it as cat litter in a loose sack. Look for the clear or white crystals.

I use this stuff in houseplant compost.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Its actually "modified" starch which gelatinises at room temperature and not at the usual almost boiling for ordinary starch. The absorption/gelatinisation takes place in a minute or so.

Reply to
cynic

I thought they used crystals which turned to gel when wet. But then again I have never changed a nappy. I might get one off my nephew and open it up.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Probably a bit nicer to get one out of the box.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My youngest daughter works in an old peoples home - she is going to get me a large (unused) incontinence pad to try out.

"Hello, Incontinence Hotline - can you hold?"

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There's a Little Britain sketch in there somewhere

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Frank Erskine typed

Nappies are easily available for children up to 8 or 9 years old. I suppose they can produce a good half-pint and the nappies should easily hold this.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht