Digital scales

My current theory about my observations with my scales is as follows:

The pile, although thin, on my carpet can be felt to move slightly sideways when pressed with a finger. My scales have 4 feet and on the carpet the body of the scales is supported only by the 4 feet, not by the body itself (paper can be slid underneath). When the 4 feet press on the carpet, the downward force resolves into the vertical force and the force sideways to deform the carpet. The scales are measuring the downward force via the feet and not the sideways force, hence the much lower reading on carpet than on the flat surface.

Whether this is right or wrong, I am now happy that I think I understand the effect. Tiny pointy feet or my tile under the scales making them accurate seem to fit with this theory.

Reply to
Bill

When I used to retain a lot of liquid in my lower legs I'd need to piss 3 or

4 times during the night. One night, including a crap first thing, I 'lost' 3kg (I didn't go looking for it. On the up side, I could sometimes go 8 - 9 hrs. during the day! If I had the space I'd get a beam balance - best method IMO.
Reply to
PeterC

My scales are on tiles. I can get 2kg variation depending on how I stand. The doctors scales make me 4kg heavier anyway

I spent a long time looking at reviews for scales. My conclusion is that

4 load cells or teh mehacnical equivalent NEVER works reliabley and that the only real way to to weigh yourself is on a lever arm scale.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+9999
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's a jockeys scale in the Avery museum (rescued from Newmarket in the 80s, I believe) which is accurate to a quarter oz. I saw it demonstrated with a mica weight used in making explosives ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Andew Jones expressed precisely :

For instance the surgery scales are supposed to be of known quality and accuracy, note a reading from those and wearing the same kit, check your bathroom scales.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andew Jones laid this down on his screen :

What known fixed weight have you in mind?

I am a good fixed weight and easily transportable :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Class (iii) is the standard grade of medically approved scales IIRC

Reply to
Tim Watts

The reason being that it would be difficult to stand on without tipping unless the platform was enormous.

You could try putting a square of plywood on top of your luxurious carpet for the scales to stand on.

Reply to
Dave W

Anything you like like a big suitcase you fill with something that doesn't change in weight over time like bricks.

No you arent. Your weight changed with what you eat and crap and your weight changes over time. If it didn't, there would be no point in bathroom scales.

Reply to
Andew Jones

On my scales, the transducer feet project only about 3mm below their surrounding housing, much less than a typical carpet pile.

Reply to
Dave W

^^^ This.

It's almost as if scale designers are unaware of the existence of carpet in the European world (carpeted floors are not popular in China for example, but even a Chinese designer *ought* to be aware of the problem for a global market)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I doubt my weight varies by that much, in a five minute trip back from the surgery.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andew Jones used his keyboard to write :

I cannot see how that really helps, apart from being able to check the scales for day to day variations. It is also quite cumbersome to have a heavy suitcase around.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They mostly aren't DESIGNED in China.

Reply to
Andew Jones

By the time that I get home I'm usually up to an hour's walking lighter and grub and 3 pints heavier. The sacles in the hospital add about 2.5kg; I will have sweated a bit by the time that I'm there and also size 13 trail shoes + clothes + contents of pockets... I asked for my height to be checked: 6' 4". I knew I was no longer (!) that, so I'll measure the thickness of the shoes when I can find the digital vernier tuit. When she said the height I said 1m 93, she looked 1m 93.2! Precision exceeding accuracy - rucsack, walk to the pub - cheerio microns!

Reply to
PeterC

Hence the "evan a", you know, covering the arguable edge case.

A European designer (well some Europeans) *really* ought to know about carpets and otherwise soft flooring.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's what it does, particularly when alternated with you on the scales, so it can't fudge what it displays so that doesn't appear to vary, when in fact it does vary.

It is also quite cumbersome to have a

Nope.

Reply to
Andew Jones

There is no edge case with where the designer is.

Of course they do.

And they also know that few european BATHROOMS are carpeted too.

Reply to
Andew Jones

The route from my surgery, to home is bereft of hostelries :'(

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield