Difficult to climb fencing

All very logical IF you have plenty of parking and easy access from the parking to your plot.

At our allotments parking is very limited, and since they sub-divided into half plots (5 rods IIRC) only the plot holder nearest the track has any chance of parking a Land Rover or a trailer at the plot.

Ours is a 'C' plot which means you have to trek down from the track past 'A' and 'B' to get there - in fact there may be four plots - I need to check if it is 'n' then 'nA' 'nB' 'nC'. Anyway it is a long trek from the minimal parking to the plot. Coupled with the logistics of moving your 'nickables' from your trailer (if you can find room to park it) in several trips both going and coming it is not an easy task.

It is a real PITA if you haven't got room to park a trailer and you have to heave everything in and out of the back of the car (including the wheel barrow to move it all in) each time you go down there.

The result is that most plot holders leave the basic gardening tools - spade, fork, rake, hand tools etc. - down at the allotment so that they are there when you need them and not a major pain to take back and forth each time you visit.

I would love to be able to use an old Defender as a mobile shed :-)

There is SmartWater in use at the site.

We are also a relatively low crime area.

The major security (apart from prickly hedges) is the combination lock on the gate.

However most people are too lazy to re-lock and scramble the combination.

Many are too lazy to even close the gate.

Still, level of theft remains low AFAIK.

I am looking forward to the shed going up as a place to sit and admire the allotment on a summer evening - so I am probably deluding myself.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Is the stuff you want really.

Can you get a lottery grant for it?

Reply to
mogga

"mogga" wrote

This is the stuff they had around the allotment near here that was simply cut out, twice. ttp://

Bob Hobden

You may as well accept that all fences are easy to cut. They only really work if there is some chance of the thief being caught while doing it. If there is nobody passing or likely to see/hear them cutting it you may as well not bother. You could put an alarm on the fence if there is anyone to respond.

Reply to
dennis

Perhaps augmented by a few "Danger -- High Voltage" signs (:-)

Pete

Reply to
Peter & Jeanne

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote

Then they would go after the cable! :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I've just seen some of that freshly installed.

With a padlock and chain on the bit the scrotes pulled off within a fortnight :(

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You need to up the observation side of things in the area too there!

Reply to
mogga

One of the reasons for having an allotment event each year is that it makes local residents aware we're here and that we're much better than what used to be here.

Reply to
mogga

In message , P Bentley writes

Having seen many of the contributions about fencing, you may find a moat would be a better bet. A water filled stagnant ditch edged with brambles would be a good deterrent.

Reply to
Bill

We have easy to climb fencing at one corner. The other side is higher than ours. A couple of barrows of manure makes a nice squidgy landing for anyone coming over there.

Reply to
mogga

Was listening to an ex-burglar saying trellis along the top makes it much harder, because it will break one way or another, and the noise attracts attention, which is what they don't like.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

when we got burgled some years ago, the noise of breaking glass and splintering woodwork was considered by our nextdoor neighbour to be caused by me cutting down a tree. This despite the facts that a) it was during office hours and b) she was our local Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

All too common unfortunately.

In a previous house my neighbour waved at the guy she had disturbed forcing my patio doors, he said "hi" and seemed a nice guy. Luckily he decided to make a quick retreat, my neighbour would have probably offered him a cup of tea!

At my present house I had £15.000:00 of aluminium pump up radio masts stolen and taken away on a flat bed truck. I know how they went because another neighbour watched them and said, afterwards, how efficient and hard working the 2 guys were.

Sometimes I do wonder if the crooks would have to wear black and white striped tee shirts and carry a bag marked SWAG before any one thought they were up to no good.

Reply to
Bill

When we had a door ripped out of its frame by a burglar nobody heard it. When I heard a burglar doing something with a hammer in our neighbours house I thought they were just putting up even more shelves

Reply to
Martin

That's appalling! I'm a neighbourhood watch coordinator and I would never sit through that sort of noise without checking it out. Mind you, we have just been given an award by the Met Police so we're obviously doing something right. Neighbourhood Watch is about rather more than putting up a sticker and snuggling back down into complacency.

Reply to
Spider

I climbed over my own fence yesterday to reach an area that was blocked by a boat and trailer. I felt it was very dangerous and if it broke or I slipped I would have been injured. Here's my fence:

Two of my neighbours have given me CCTV cameras so I can watch for thieves and vandals. I think I have caught every one of them.

Reply to
MattyF

Thick grease along the top?

Reply to
mark

That's attractive fencing, where did you get it?

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

I made it myself. I got 600 metres of that timber very cheaply. There are eight panels like this:

Note the slots under each rail. The panels sit on large screws into the posts, so I can just lift the panels off for painting or weeding the garden. I put a couple of screws in the back so nobody steals the panels! Here are the two gates:

Mainly, it's unsatisfying for taggers to paint on my fence so they never have. It's also really difficult to climb over.

Reply to
MattyF