Diagonal Wiring Run

Wiring Regs do not allow cables to run diagonally unless protected which seems eminently sensible since it is not the most obvious route.

I now have to wire a series of lights that illuminate the stairs and thus by definition run in a diagonal fashion. The most obvious wiring is diagonally between each light, any other route would, I think, be counter-intuitive. Would metal channelling be acceptable as mechanical protection in this instance? It is likely to be a 12v supply.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

If it's ELV - like 12 volts - it doesn't need any protection. Although it might be prudent to do so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Andrew writes

Are these wall lights? Are you running the wiring in the wall or in the ceiling part of the stairs? If you are running the wiring in the walls then you have

150mm in the corner between wall and ceiling as a permitted route or if you are running the wiring in the plane of the (slanted) ceiling and not deviating from side to then it isn't diagonal at all.
Reply to
fred

There are small 'step' lights, one every three steps that are recessed into the wall about six inches above the step in question. So a long way from the ceiling which in any case is horizontal for the length of the stairs. Switches are already in place and there is a junction box under the landing floor for connecting into. The wiring will go from the floor vertically to the first light then diagonally connecting all the others. Or at least, that is the plan.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Rather, diagonal is the shortest route. Staying in the regs is easy, since you can go horizontal or vertical from a fitting, then why not go up 3 steps worth of height and then across to the light. No need to go diagonal and no need to protect. Basically go along the other 2 legs of a right angle triangle. There is no need to go all the way to the ceiling, across and down again if you think about it. Interested to know if anyone thinks this would be a problem, as far as I can tell it would be entirely compliant.

Fash

Reply to
Fash

[...]

You're right. Going vertically and horizontally in steps is entirely complient but for anyone contemplating drilling through the wall in the future is also entirely counter-intuitive compared to the diagonal route. To be fair I don't forsee anyone wanting to drill at that level but the regs don't allow for that.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew