demolishing building against party wall

What does one do, if a building with a party wall has to be demolished to make way for a new building against the party wall, so that the party wall would be exposed to the elements for some time. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Elephants? I think you need a zoo licence to keep those.

Oh...

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Well, you'll need to inform the other party and allow them to appoint a surveyor to look after their interests at your own expense.

Assuming it is a double brick wall, I suspect that nothing special will need to be done beyond ensuring that the pointing is in servicable condition to avoid allowing penetrating damp into the neighbour's property, but I'd check with your structural engineer, in case the demolished building was buttressing the wall and an integral part of its strength, or the wall is only thin.

I suspect that if the wall doesn't meet current party wall standards, you may need to thicken it up as part of the rebuilding, but the BCO will have the definitive answer to this.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

see

Lobster

Apart from notifying your neighbour so he can have a surveyor/structural engineer check it out ... When you see houses that have had the neighbouring house removed they often have heavy polythene/tarps covering the exposed surface, secured with nailed battens.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Your party wall award will specify the details. Battens and felt is normal.

NT

Reply to
meow2222