Decking oil or Decking stain+presertive

Hi

Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........ Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Personal preference is oil. Feeds the wood, looks natural, easy to apply & recoat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My preference for what to do with decking would require a chain saw and digger...

Reply to
:Jerry:

================================== What a waste! Don't you enjoy a good bonfire?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Funny how something that's stone dead can need feeding. I think I'll dig the cat up and give him some Whiskas.

, looks natural, easy to apply &

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stones aren't dead, in geological time.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But it burns better if heaped into a decent pyre.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I wouldn't. It was probably that that killed him in the first place.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I decided to dig him up anyway, and he doesn't look too bad

Reply to
Stuart Noble

.. >Hi .. >

.. >Decking is going grey on the balastrades and spindles etc ........ .. >Which is better to use on the whole area ... oil or stain ? .. >

.. >Mike P

One sensible answer .............. my ........... how this group has changed :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I think the grey colour is about as good as it gets. Oil just makes it look like it's wet i.e. dark grey, and the stuff you see the fat blokes spraying in the tv advert needs doing every year to keep it looking like Legoland. Oxalic acid is the basis of most of the bleaching products, but it didn't work for me, so I'm sticking with the driftwood look.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

AFAIK stain ought not be applied to weathered wood, so oil will be easier.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I've just used a water blaster to remove all the grey, and oiled it. Looks just like new.

Reply to
Matty F

Interesting. Suggests that the colour may not go very deep. If it's resin degraded by UV, it's possible you may not have to do it again, or at least not very often

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I have hardwood decking and outdoor furniture, something like Kwila, and after 15 years it has gone grey. I used Wattyl Forestwood deck oil which has a brown/red colour.

Reply to
Matty F