Damp through floor

Hi

I have removed vinyl tiles laid in 1970's to an 1850's house. I have discovered a floor screed of about 2 inches, on top of an existing quarry tile floor. I only discovered this because at one point, damp had penetrated and destroyed this screed, at the edge of a wall. The area in question is about 6 inches by 2 inches and 2 inches deep.. Can anybody suggest anything that I can use to fill this void, that will stop the damp penetrating the new quarry tile that I am about to lay.?

Many thanks.

Reply to
enquirer

I would guess the first job is to get a damp meter and work out if the whole floor is damp, suggesting no DPM/DPC or if its just one small patch.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Probably the wrong solution as it will fail again in due course and also push damp into the walls. The floor will have no DPC and the screed was a common attempt to hold back the damp in the 60s/70s. The better solution is to remove the screed and live with the quarry tile floor which will allow moisture to evaporate through it, or if this is not your cup of tea, then lift the tiles as well (and sell them !) and install a raised floor (only an inch or two) with the area underneath ventilated with a fan to the outside.

Reply to
G&M