Damned foxes

Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front garden. Dug holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and then a decent compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably attracted by the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large pebbles over the hole area.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You could try Fox Repel which is organic and pet friendly.

Bod

You have my sympathy - they are vermin. We've had 25 chickens all killed in one night when the fox got into the chicken house, and had a goose pulled though a hole (made by the fox) in the goose shed and it's head pulled off. They are living creatures and need treating without cruelty BUT there are too many of them, certainly around here. I'm dreading the lambing season as there is nothing more distressing than a gored dead lamb being nuzzled by the ewe.

Mind you badgers are as bad. We've had several chicken have their feet pulled off by badgers getting under a slatted floor chicken shed. Neighbours have had concrete set chain link fencing torn up by badgers getting at their chicken run. At least foxes don't have the power to do that even if they can pull weather boarding off chicken houses !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Try spreading chilli powder around the plants.

Reply to
Capitol

Its the smell though, I dont see how pebbles would sort that out. You need some kind of stuffwhich is not a magnet for them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, they are after all only doing what comes naturally. When I saw the original post I was going to suggest a trip wire connected to a loaded shotgun, but that might have elf and safety issues.

Now I like to see wildlife as much as anyone, well hear it these days, but one has to think of ones own needs as well, and you can hardly sit down and negotiate rules with foxes and Badgers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

cost me £250 to get a cat patched up after what looks like being ripped by a fox. pus filled abscess the size of a small saucer all over one side... he is now allowed out of quarantine for the firsts time in 3 weeks.

My guess he had killed a bunny and the fox stole it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's simple enough to rig up an electric fence and they're non-lethal.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:la97fq$s8c$1@dont- email.me:

The pebbles were an idea to add weight to make it harder for the fox to dig. I have bought some repellant for tonight.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:la97fq$s8c$1@dont- email.me:

The pebbles were an idea to add weight to make it harder for the fox to dig. I have bought some repellant for tonight.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Lion poo is said to be a good deterrent for foxes. You can buy it online, or possibly at some garden centres.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Lead shot!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Never mind, coming to a supermarket near you soon (well a Chinese restaurant anyway)

tim

Reply to
tim......

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA2AB9B6F242F6TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

It worked!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No, no, no. Electric fence is what you want. I could rig one up in about

2hrs and nothing would get past it. BTW, badgers are a particular pain in the arse. I really hate them. Bastards.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom