CU cable entry

At the moment the most interesting options look like removing the mounting screws or cutting a temporary wooden guard panel & drilling the left.

Cheers everyone.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Cor! I used to cut holes in folded brass chassis for B7G and B9A valve bases with Q-Max cutters sixty years ago......didn't know you could still get them.

Reply to
John

What were you cutting? I've made loads and loads of holes with them in various materials and not had a problem with distortion. Assuming you took care using them, as it would obviously be possible to bend sheet steel by the action of turning them with a spanner, etc. In thin sheet, where it matters, I tend to use a T handle driver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure there is any DIY alternative that makes a near perfect hole so quickly?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

boxes, mainly sheet ali. IIRC they were fine in plastic.

With the metal in free air it's not going to see problematic torque.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Given you'd normally hold the work while using the cutter, not so sure about that.

But it sounds like you were using a worn cutter. If a common problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They were brand new. I explained why it happened several posts back.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Even the best tools need skill to give good results.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sure. The relevant skill in this case being awareness of what cases punches are not suited for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Another error is using them too near the edge of a thin sheet. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That is precisely the problem. Hand operated qmax Punches use a non-flat cutting edge to keep peak forces within practical limits for human, screw thread & spanners. So the metal is at once trying to conform to both flatness and the bent steel created by the punching action. The lack of a large enough thick enough sheet causes distortion, sometimes severe enough to produce only scrap. That's what happened.

And in the current situation, once again holes are required near an unsupported edge. Don't really want to write off the CU, so the punch option seems risky.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If there's room, how about clamping the edge in a vice? I've never tried it, though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Was trying to get you to state exactly when this was the case. Type of material and thickness. How close to an edge. And so on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True - but if too close to an edge you'd not be able to fit a gland or grommet etc. I've used them happily to cut a half moon out of ally plate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not a bad idea. Dangle iron & bolts would do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

nonsense

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have it your own way, pet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've done it before. You just keep trolling.

Reply to
tabbypurr

How many Q-max cutters do you have? I count about a dozen here - including ones which do other than a round hole.

Odd I manage to use them without bending the material.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it similar with metal back boxes for sockets or switches where the trick seems to be to knock out the blanking plug by giving it a quick shock? Place the blade of a suitably sized screwdriver on the blanking plug and hit the handle of the screwdriver with a hammer.

Reply to
alan_m