Creaking floor boards

We're just about to have carpets replaced, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to see if I can stop the few patches of creaking floorboards upstairs. Maybe it will become obvious that I need to hammer in a few more nails in places. But assuming not, and if all

*looks* OK, is there some stuff I can spray or paint on that will help please?
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

if nailing isnt required,try dusting with talcum powder..!

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Better to use screws than nails if you've already got creaks... (and don't forget to check for cables /pipes underneath first of course!) David

Reply to
Lobster

Indeed, the first time I did this I later discovered I'd drilled a pilot hole 1mm away from a gas pipe.

Reply to
JK

I'd 2nd the suggestion to use screws as they go in and stay in more readily than nails, so less squeaking in the long run. As for the cables and pipes its worth marking the position of cables and pipes by pencil if you ever have any of the floorboards up.

In my first attempt to sort out squeaky floorboards I ended up drilling through a central heating pipe, sods law dictated that it would happen on my very last hole that I was drilling (out of about 50). So as a precaution try to drill close to where nails currently are and never in the middle of the floorboard, as any bodger that may have been at your house is sure to have a pipe running down the middle of a floorboard, near the surface of the joist - that was certainly my experience.

Reply to
big al - Peoples Pal

Many thanks for all those helpful replies.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

After trying all the suggestions to stop squeaking ... The squeaks coming from mine were from the tongues and grooves themselves. The wood was old, dry and warped with a curve across the board. It was the movement of the tongue in the grooves that was causing the squeak. I was fairly radical. I sawed out the tongues completely and covered edges with gaffer tape to stop the friction. It was remarkably effective, but of course "ruined" the boards. But they were fairly bad anyway due to lifting for re-wiring, central heating etc. Simon.

Reply to
Simon

I suspect mine may turn out to have the same cause. That's why I was rather hoping there might be some 'lubricant' I could use.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Someone already suggested talc. Maybe raw linseed oil would do it too, or a liquid wax?

Reply to
Rob Morley

The trouble is, most lubricants dry out or otherwise dissipate, and after a while the creaking returns. There would be nothing more disheartening than to have new carpets fitted, and then all the creaking kicks off again. That's reminded me - I still have the job of my horribly creaking staircase to do one day !

Simon.

Reply to
Simon

If you're going for fitted carpets you could replace the boards with chipboard, otherwise you'll have easy access to renew the lubricant.

Reply to
Rob Morley