Crack problem

Yes, four x 135 degree couplings and enough plastic drainpipe to bridge the gap. It'll be a lot less stressful than trying to meet some timetable.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I had a crack down one wall. Although I knew it was no problem (it wasn't moving and was obviously settlement shortly after the extension was built rather than subsidence), I was moving my mortgage and the valuer wasn't happy with it. I had to pay for a structural engineer to look at it, who agreed with me, asked if it had moved while I had lived there and said that my knowledge of it over time was of more use than his inspection. Anyway, he recommended (more to keep them happy than anything) that whenever the room affected was being decorated next, just to stick some thin rebar in the mortar lines, across the crack and epoxy mortar it in.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If you maintain cast iron, it has a very long life indeed. PVC, especially gutters, are very likely to need replacing far more often as they go brittle. So a leak at a joint usually means replacing the lot. Unlike cast iron which can be dismantled and fixed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes, a lot more chance of damaging the bricks than a grinder but looks like the only option.

I think you might be right. What the pic doesn't show is that the crack stops above & below that section, and I hadn't noticed that it's right in line with the pipe fixings. Thanks.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Noted, thanks.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

While you've got the mortar raked out, insert some flat (stainless?/galvanised?) steel bar above/below the cracked section?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Helibars glued in with resin, then pointed over:

John Rumm