Could this be the end of modified vehicles?

Unfortunately it /is/ possible to increase the brightness from the factory setting by use of an OBD-II cable.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Having run at least one classic for the past 30 years, restored two from the ground up and with a fleet of five classics in the garage at the moment, all in roadworthy condition and all with some degree of modification I have an appreciation of what it takes to keep one on the road.

I mentioned brakes in one of my earlier posts on this thread. I prefer brakes that work, and that doesn't always come as standard from manufacturers.

As for tyres I've gone back to 'original equipment' tyres on some of my vehicles. More expensive but sticky modern compounds don't always suit classics.

connection except as a satisfied customer)

They would have to determine if an alternator was fitted by the manufacturer, when the manufacturer themselves don't even know then you know that the tossers in Europe will never win.

2 minutes driving in the suburbs of a city is enough to know such drivers must be on drugs or booze, or maybe they are all incompetent as standard as I had a tart in corsa come close to wiping the front end off my car the other week. If I tried to explain what she did you'd never believe me!
Reply to
The Other Mike

It could materially affect the repair market.

The argument will no doubt be cobalt steels require mig-brazing, typically synergistic although you can get acceptable results with a conventional mig and appropriate wire etc.

It DOES mean that the "turnover" of cars will be greater, for drivel "environmental reasons", AND remember they do plan on a stricter MOT which is less frequent. Essentially forcing cars off the road at a much earlier age.

Germany has a vast aftermarket system from exhausts to brakes to wheels, there must therefore be a "rubber stamp" approval system. Otherwise all the tuners and aftermarket system will collapse overnight.

It MIGHT be aimed at counterfeit parts from China, and this is "Part P" EU parts makers getting protection via the back door.

Reply to
js.b1

In an other place where this was being discussed, a contributor wrote to his MEP and this is part of the reply he got:-

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since my local dealer can now only get one type of 225/50R15 I checked. They want 275 quid for the Michelin, and 203 for the Pirelli. I don't like the Toyos all that much - they have softer walls than the Bridgestones that were OEM - but since they are 90 each I'll stick with it! Maybe my car isn't old enough...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

or Britpart

Reply to
hugh

>If this comes into force my Land Rover/Range Rover hybrid is doomed! >

It seems they have been misquoted!

Muddymike

I've seen the English version of the proposed directive (found it online) and it is far more specific than that article says. What authority does it have? Anyone can post a blog saying anything. Do we know who the author is?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The directive you mention can be read in a number of ways, depending on your prejudices.

ec.europa.eu is the homepage of the European Commissioners, and if you search their site using the right string, you get this Press Release:-

ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/press/press_releases/2012/pr1235_en.htm

Which says more or less the same as the blog does.

The original memo is here:-

europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/12/555&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

The only uncertainty is whether the UK Government will take the opportunity to gold plate the proposals, as it is said that individual governments are free to insist on higher standards. Basically, they will be bringing all tests up to the British standard or slightly better, and introducing new test requirements for 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles.

Historic vehicles? As for "day to day" use as mentioned elsethread, I suspect the easiest test will be "Does the owner of the historic vehicle own a newer vehicle?" This was a requirement in France a while ago, if you owned a historic vehicle, for it to be exempt from testing you must also own a vehicle of less than a defined age, and the assumption was that the newer vehicle was for day to day use. You were also restricted to driving your historic vehicle within your Departement and adjacent ones with police consent. I suspect, though can't confirm. that modified vehicles will continue having to have an annual test as they do now, with a special test if they are altered in a manner likely to affect safety.

It's very unlikely to come into effect for five years or so anyway.

Reply to
John Williamson

[snip]

I certainly didn't believe it could ever have been implemented as proposed. Would effect far to many jobs in the UK and elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes; it would create loads of bureaucratic posts.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon