Cost of Owning a Septic Tank???

block
Then you are not referring to a 11+ year old septic tank, but a modern treatment plant. Form Klargester own advice re, septic tanks. "Do you rarely, if ever, empty your septic tank." If this is the case, then your tank may be damaged and/or leaking untreated effluent into the ground and therefore polluting the surrounding property and environment."
-- Mark§
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

A typical ad-mans blurb (note the use of the weasel word "may") What else could you expect from a company that is trying to sell you a wonderful new bit of gubbins?
Add pictures here
βœ–
John wrote:

And a backup service plan to go with it...;-)
I pop the lid now and again to check its all doing what it should...
No png, not much solid. Its working.
Add pictures here
βœ–

collect
encouraged
I think as many streams run into reservoirs as rivers, and even those that feed rivers probably see the water reused ten times as it flows downstream. The problem with any subterranean system is the water out can lag water in by 5-100 years. Our spring is certainly about ten years behind.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike wrote:

No reservoirs downsteream of us here - just into the Orwell sysrtem but across the road its the great Ouse system...all aquifers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
RobertTT wrote:

NO. You overload it.
Those go to a catch pond, or soakaway, or into storm drainage if you have it.
We have a pond.
The estate down teh road duig a bloody great pit. Its a grassy hollow execpt when it really rains.

No, run your 'foul' (grey) water into the sewage tank. Only rainwater should go to the soakaway,
Use a water softener to keep soap/detergent quantities low, and let it rock...most detergents these days are realtively biodegradeable.
Things to avoid are indigestible plastics and some petrochemicals that will not emulsify with the detergents.
I've put caustic soda. hydrochloric acid, and paint thinners down mine. Seems OK so far. In the end it all cancels out - the acids and alkalis do and the solvents and the deteregents do. Just make sure there's lots of water going through when you bung in anything too nasty.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You'll probably hear lots of differing views but the key effect on cost of running a septic tank is how well you treat it. If you bung all sorts of liquids and solids down it it won't function well and will need regular emptying. But if you just put proper bio-degradeable stuff in this stuff will degrade most effectively and there'll never be any cost.
Add pictures here
βœ–
We put in a 4000l spetic tank 2 years ago and apart from some smell as it started up it has performed flawlessly and waters the orchard in dry spells very nicely. You are meant to empty it out every 5 years but in my previous years of owning these I have never done this and never had problems with them. Only thing we have to do is make sure the mother in law does not use bleach and make sure people know they shouldn't put sanitary towels down the loo. The worst bit is that we empty the grease trap every year which is a truly awful job and one that tends to have a very strict rotation as to whose turn it is!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Where is the grease trap situated in the system I don't think I have one but maybe I have . Where do I look? Blair
Add pictures here
βœ–
Usually between the house/feeds and the tank. Really gives the kitchen waste a chance to cool down and solidify so it does not gum up the tank as a whole. Cleaning is a very ugly business. It is usually about 50cm across under a small manhole cover but that depends on the size of the system. Different countries in Europe have different regulations (and indeed different water companies) so you may or may not have one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 28 Mar 2005 16:26:17 -0800, robert2004 snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (RobertTT) wrote:

50 quid a year emptying charge. One of the local farmers uses his tractor, and takes it to the sewage works ......
Your water bills go down, no sewage charges.
Rick
Add pictures here
βœ–
geulan.com says...

Are you sure ?
It wouldn't be unknown for it to be sprayed across farmland

--
Paul Mc Cann

Add pictures here
βœ–

You ask the guy, you trust him, its like that my way. And what farmer whats "mummies napies" across his land ?
What they spay is either animal muck from their sheds, or the sludges from the sewage works, that has had the stuff that should not be in the toilet removed, and most of the latter is "injected" a couple of foot under the soil.
Rick
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:44:01 GMT, Rick wrote:

If "mummies nappies" are ending up in the septic tank then Mummy needs to educated into what should or should not be going down the toilet...
Apart from proper toilet tissue if it hasn't been through your digestive tract it does not go down the toilet.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

And continue the Nitrogen cycle of nature
Add pictures here
βœ–

Where do you think a lot of the stuff from your 'professional' sewage works ends up ?
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–