Cost for additional raditor

Hi, I've just moved into a new house and was slightly surprised to see the third bedroom doesn't have a radiator in the room, this limits its usefulness in the winter, and is already causing consensation.

I was wondering if anyone would have any idea of a ballpark figure of how much I would be looking at to get an extra radiator fitted to the room.

The combi boiler is actually in a cupboard inside the room so presumably there would be no need to take up floor boards to put in pipes as you could go directly through the wall, which might make things cheaper?

The room is just a box room maybe 3 metres by 2, so the radiator would be smallish I would guess.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

Reply to
markhewitt1978

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi

30-50 quid +/- for a basic rad, valve or TRV of your choice, valve for the other end, bit of pipe (can be plastic) and two tees off the nearest set of heating pipes. Should be less than 100 in parts. If you're near East Sussex I could even give you a rad (choice of short and long, both double-panelled, less than 10 years old - going spare) and *possibly* the valves (if they didn't get broken when the builders pulled them out, me having disconnected them first).

It's very easy, especially with plastic pipe, though copper's not very difficult. Can you DIY it?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I'd rather not DIY it. I've done the odd bit of push fit plumbing but that's about as far as I would like to go!

I'm just looking for an idea of the cost involved so we can budget for it, and to tell if any quotes we get from tradespeople are reasonable.

Considering the parts are probably coming in at around =A3100. You reckon =A3200 fully fitted would cover it?

Reply to
markhewitt1978

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

Fair enough.

So, you've got a bit of a guess as to parts cost (try screwfix to do yourself a better estimate). If the pipes are nearby as you suggest, then I can't see it being more than a few hours work including draining down, and refilling (the plumber might use a pipe freezer if it's practical avoiding this step). So it's a guess for a plumber for 1/2 day I suppose.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

£150 would be about right. I'm going to be fitting one tomorrow, bit of a favour for a previous customer, only charging £80, probably £30 profit on the day, which would be fine for the 2 hours it should take, though it certainly will not be a price I'd offer to anyone else. Rads are £30-40, TRV valves £7, 2 lengths of 15mm pipe and fittings, £10, inhibitor £8, so parts for you shouldnt be much over £70, probably less, depending on if tey mark up the supplied prices. Labour, should be 3 hours max. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

Rush buy, was it? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If this is an upstairs bedroom and the boiler is there as well, you probably won't need much draining down. Shut the valves off at the combi, and there will only be a couple of feet of pipe to empty (another advantage of a sealed system ;-) That would save you the cost of the inhibitor if you want to be stingy. (although I would add it anyway just to be sure)

Reply to
John Rumm

I normally have the radiators off in the bedrooms

for the time spent in a bedroom, a duvet suffices

Reply to
geoff

... together with an ecletic blunket...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No, he's already said he's experiencing a "Con sensation" so obviously feels swindled by the sellers

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I got up with ice on the inside of the windows often enough as a kid.

Perhaps it will come to that again the way things are going.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and his dog? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

That dog's valuable! If we are to get 'intelligence-led policing' we need Blanket as Home Secretary as only the dog can make it work!

Reply to
PeterC

Depending on where you live you may find it difficult to get a plumber to do a small job like this. Despite the credit crunch I had terrible trouble getting someone out for a day's work!

BTW: The condensation might be caused by lack of ventilation.

Reply to
Mark