Cooling fans & control in kitchen.

I want to duct air away from various bits of "built in" kit to keep them cool. I'm looking for some high quality, low noise fans that I can automatically start/speed control when various bits of kit are switch on.

The items I want to detect switching on are free standing fridge and freezer, microwave and an audio CD/Tuner unit.

Has anyone any experience of doing this?

Any recommendations for fans, sensors, control gear?

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

I bought a 6-way power strip from Maplins that had one "sensing" outlet and 5 controlled outlets. It applies power to the 5 controlled outlets if power is drawn from the sensing outlet.

That would do the job in a simple if rather clumsy way.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

"Derek ^" wrote

Derek, Many thanks for your response. That's an idea - but as you say a bit clunky. Roy

Reply to
RzB

why do you need to do this?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hmm... Time to get beaten up methinks..

OK - First of all the microwave. I'm intending to fit a Panasonic microwave into a tall unit below a compact oven. To do this I will use a Panasonic trim kit. Panasonic don't recommend building into the same unit as an oven. I can understand that it might not be a good idea to put the microwave above an oven, but to me underneath seems reasonable - however to be sure I will add some insulation and would like to add a little forced cooling. Out the back, up and ducted to outside.

The Fridge/freezer - these are mounted alongside the oven/microwave housing. They get a little warm at the back which will be pretty much enclosed. They also tend to get condensation between the fridge and freezer adjacent walls. So fan + ducting up the back to the outside.

The audio unit - I have been tearing my hair out on trying to sensibly locate a reasonable quality mini system unit into the kitchen. It turns out that about the only reasonable place would be to fit it next to the damn oven housing. This unit would be almost totally enclosed so some air needs to be circulated somehow.

So there you have it...

Many thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB