controlling open fire

Hi folks,

Well we have our open fire now and its going ok.. We got the fireback in on Monday and had our first fire tuesday evening. A little bit of soot came down from the chimney but I've been assured this is just becuase the chimney needed to warm up. The chimney is drawing fine. This probably sounds like a daft question but I'm wondering whats the best way to control the open fire in terms of flame. Maybe i'm just a bit scared of it but last night i put a shovel of coal on the fire and the flames went quite high, it might be no harm but i'd rather keep the flame a bit lower if possible. After a while they settled down to a low flame. I also put a log or two on it and we are butning some peat briquettes and turf that my dad supplied. In terms of settings the best fire for heat without a roaring flame - whats the best fuel to use and how should i set the fire?

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
micks_address

Best fire for heat is coal, in a basket. Best fire for effect is log, in a tray, on a bed of old ash - and logs are a lot cleaner than coal. Logs don't go that well in a basket (if you have to use one put a sheet of metal in the bottom first) or coal in a tray. Guess peat is good for long lasting gentle warmth. Start with a small coal fire and add more. Putting too much on to start with may involve buckets of water (I found myself in that position once!).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

This link may be some help and they have a help line

TMC

My Parents have 3 open fires and a solid fuel range

They use anthracite briquettes which provide high heat output little ash no clinker and low flame height. For effect on the fires they will add the occasional log. As the briquettes are smokeless there is little sooting either

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Reply to
micks_address

My open fire goes like a blast furnace if I use Coalite and almost as bad with ordinary house coal. We now use phurnacite ovals which are designed to be used in stoves but seem to work just fine on my open fire. Roy

Reply to
roybennet

With ours we usually just burn logs, although that does not get the greatest heat from it. (Logs on a bed of coalite gets more heat (too much in fact)).

Using three or four logs (saY one large, plus a few halves / quarters) will not usually burn with that much flame, but at the same time be enough to susstain the fire and not have it go out. The best heat output comes once you have some embers sat in the grate from the remains of the first logs.

Reply to
John Rumm