Connecting to 2 phase cooktop/hob

I am replacing my electric (glass top, ceramic) hob in my kitchen. I have stupidly bourght a model that appears to requre 2 phase connection

- it has connections for L1, L2, N and Earth. The supply to my old hob is only a single phase 240v supply. Worse there is only single phase supply to the house. Is there any way to connect this up without having an extra phase wired up?

Reply to
JohnnyGW

If it is anything like my oven, then just link L1 and L2 together. But I would make sure this is correct first - Mine told me in the manual.

What is the make/model?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

It helps to say which country you're in. Looks like Australia, whose rules I'm not familiar with, but I thought they forbid anyone other than a licenced electrician from doing anything much.

However, hobs like you describe are available in some EU countries. These can often be configured to run from a single phase of appropriate current rating by linking L1 and L2 together with a supplied connecting strip. This will depend on the design of the cooker, and should be covered in the installation instructions.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's a Keenmaid CH605CM. Kleenmaid are an Aussie company (I think) that rebadge European appliances. The manual is fairly poor and unfortunatly does not describe linking L1 and L2 though this is what I had in mind.

Reply to
JohnnyGW

Any chance it is a US 240V appliance? In which case it would require a 120-0-120 supply, ie as from a centre-tapped transformer.

Reply to
Tony Williams

No sorry, should have been clearer. It is a rebadged European model. I'm installing it in Australia where 240V is the standard.

Reply to
JohnnyGW