Condensing Boilers a bad idea?

I think you may find it is nearer to 40% all told in homes.

Reply to
IMM

Arguably, if you've got the kit, they are quicker and easier to service. The advice from a Keston engineer was that if the flue gas numbers are OK leave well alone, just clean out the condensate trap and check the igniter. With an upfiring boiler you really do need to dismantle and brush all the crud out of the burner.

Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people will have read Jeff Howell's comments and be believing them, thinking him an expert on boilers rather than a bricklayer which IIRC is his trade.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Old bricks and slate tiles are re-cycled.

Reply to
IMM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote | raden wrote: | > >Que Maxie... | > I presume you meant "Cue" there | Or Q if you're a pro. ;-)

Kew if you come from Richmond

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or "queue" if your French or waiting for a public service.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think it depends on what you mean by "energy".

If you look at electricity, it is estimated that a power cut is most likely of a winter week day evening during the tail end of the rush hour.

Graham

Reply to
graham

Isn't the cost of the service contract greater than the savings?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

In message , Andy Hall writes

Que ??

Reply to
raden

In message , IMM writes

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "Que" ?

because I don't understand what you are trying to say

Reply to
raden

Yes - but he reckons he gets value out of it - because he's always had it.

They've replaced rusted out rads - no inhibitor - and several repairs to the old system too. My theory is it's because of the damage they did at service time - nothing was ever put back together properly. Think the pumps rarely lasted more than about 3 years - 3 way valves the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

writes

Que?

Reply to
IMM

I thought that you were from Milton Keynes, not Barcelona.

Reply to
Andy Hall

writes

From both..an international man............

Reply to
IMM

I passed by MK today on my way to Leighton Buzzard. And again on the way back. It's the best solution.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Great solution for the good peoplel of MK, but what have the people in L Buzzard done that is so bad?

Reply to
IMM

That which consumes resources, maybe you can argue that nuclear power and other non-hydrocarbon sources don't consume resources but you know what I mean.

If the 20%/80% split is right then I assume it means that 80% of our consumption of gas/oil/electricity is industrial. There's a bit of a 'grey area' in that a lot of our electricity is generated using gas and oil so whether that is industrial or domestic use is open to debate.

So how does this bear on the question?

Reply to
usenet

"I had a Potterton Envoy that was installed by the builder when the house was new 6 years ago. Problems began six months down the line and after the warranty ran out, I tried to get a BG service contract (yes I know!), but BG condemned the boiler and confirmed in writing that they would not take on a contract."

From a post by one ColinM here 2003-11-24 located through Google groups. When BG can't make money from a service contract you know that a boiler is bad news!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Do they cover Suprima's;?......

Reply to
tony sayer

Ahhh Manuel.... a step up from waiting tables in Torquay :-)

Reply to
David M

"condemned"? Under what grounds? You can only condemn on safety grounds, not because the boiler is potentially uneconomical for their service contracts.

Reply to
IMM