Concrete - anti dust ?

The garage floor is giving off a lot of concrete dust, which can be seen by exposed aggregate .. .and SWMBO is complaining that every time I walk out of garage I leave a trail of white foot prints across brown pavior drive (they do stand out) The garage floor has only ever had foot traffic.

On recent job (car port & boat shed) I had the floor power floated and they added hardener to surface & that shows no sign of breaking up, and it has vehicle traffic.

Is there anything I can spay, pour on surface to stop this ? or would I have to use self-levelling 2-part, or perhaps even 2-part floor paint.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In message , Rick Hughes writes

I had a similar problem and went straight for the 2 part epoxy floor paint, it stopped the problem and made sweeping the floor a darn sight easier too. The only thing I would do differently if I was doing it again would be to add sand to the mix to give more grip. If the floor is wet it is somewhat slippery.

Reply to
Bill

easy peasy. Use a concret hardener, works a treat

The Medway Handyman

Going over it with dilute PVA will do the job cheaply - I'd probably try 1:3 PVA:Water on a bit and vary it so it penetrates rather than glooping on the top, then roller all over.

It will be shiney afterwards, but not dusty - I did the same to a bit of subfloor slab that was annoying me(!).

If you are worried about PVA becoming tacky or going weird when it gets wet, use SBR instead - costs more but will give a very stable surface and will be water resistant - also good enough to put floor paint on later if the mood takes (wouldn't fancy that with PVA in a damp environment).

Reply to
Tim Watts

PVA or SBR are surface treatments, a silicate concrete hardener reacts with the concrete & changes the surface.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Even that is overkill.

For simple dust prevention PVA will work, but its not fully waterproof. Concrete paint - not two part - is perfectly adequate for low wear areas. The epoxy is the dogs bollocks industrial grade solution. Bloody excellent but expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

True, but both prevent dusting

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd go for much thinner pva than 3:1, you want to avoid that slick water soluble surface! PVA is a glue, it prevents dusting by gluing the concrete particles together, thus strengthening the top layer. The weaker your pva mix, the further it penetrates, and the thicker the top layer that gets strengthened. I'd try 10:1 first, then anything from 10:1 to 5:1, the second application after the first has had plenty of days to dry. If the slab is damp, better go for SBR.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

>Look interesting! What sort of area would 5 litres cover?

Would it do anything to stabilise concrete which is crumbling and forming craters due to the frost?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have some TrueFix concrete PVA additaive, which was sprayed onto the screed after laying to harden the surface .... I'll give that a go. Any idea what the dilution is ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

There's a school of thought that says this is bad concrete work and nothing can fix it...

Floor paint works, but it's expensive to get one (chlorinated rubber or epoxy) that can stabilise concrete. The affordable stuff won't.

A better sealer for concrete is waterglass (sodium silicate). This is cheap(ish), if only you can find it. It's a bit obscure these days.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There's a school of thought that says this is bad concrete work and nothing can fix it...

This is a new selfbuild ... the groundworkers were supposed to wait for a dry day, pour the raft, and powerfloat finish ....... they poured in in rain, and finish was then not as good as it should have been. My fault for using a 'professional firm'

As I mentioned I had another building on site and had that power floated and it is no problem even with vehicle traffic.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Was the dry day/power float etc in the spec? If it was you should have got 'em to remove and dispose of the incorrectly laid raft and re-lay properly at their expense.

The only way "professional firms" will learn is by hitting their wallet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was ... however they said 'no problem' screed will take care of it ......... and could not hold off as Timber Frame was due to arrive.

The screed of course sorted out house, but not garage.

Been thinking of 'maybe' using a self leveling screed, but this may be prohibitively expensive.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It's not too bad.

But you'll still need to stabilise the surfce or the bond will fail. For that, I would soak it until it can take no more in 1:2 - 1:3 SBR:water, which is exactly what I did with some friable screed I was about to top over with compound. Worked too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't know off hand, you would have to look at the can or ask the mfrs.

It reacts chemically with the surface of the concrete, so it would prolly help.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman