Combi questions

Two questions, neither of which I can find the exact answer to in the archives.

  1. PRV discharge pipe. My boiler is situated on the first floor, does the pipe still have to terminate at ground level, or can it be terminated at the point of exit from the building?

  1. Condensate drain. Can this be connected directly to the waste system internally, or does it have to run to a drain? I have a sink nearby so was hoping to connect to the waste pipe if possible, so saving drilling another hole in the outside wall.

Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
johno

If it's not practicable to take the PRD down to ground level it's usually terminated in a short pipe turned back to face the wall (not necessarily normal to the wall but at least so the discharge will hit the wall before it falls to the ground).

Should be instructions in the boiler manual but into a sink waste is usually OK. Just make sure the sink waste pipe is plastic not copper. Also, CORGI advise installers not to connect into cast iron soil stacks, but I think this is more to protect installer's arse against later claims that the condensate ate away the stack and caused it to fail rather than a real likelihood of this happening. (Condensate is about as acidic as cocal cola or tomato juice.)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks John, just wanted to make sure I had read everything right. Last house I had the PRD ended as a short u-turn facing the wall. Condensate is going to go into plastic, so again, no problems. Thanks John

Reply to
johno

From my reading on the subject, it is a matter of preference to drain the condensate into an internal point (normally sink/ washing machine drain), to avoid freezing problems that can occur when external discharge is used.

Does anyone remember when it used to be COLD in winter?

Reply to
Tom

Yes, that's why I am installing CH !! :-))

John

Reply to
johno