Combi Condensate into guttering

Fair point. Some of them eat ants so presumably are not bothered by formic acid. But maybe the acidity doesn't harm them. Come to that, I suspect that we could drink condensate water without coming to harm.

Reply to
newshound

One job I had to discharge it into a gutter because There was no other way possible, I asked an ideal Engineer if this was ok he agreed with me that I had No other choice .

Reply to
george

I noticed that several installers passed the 19mm pipe through the wall and into a 40mm pipe as near as possible to the emerging pipe. I did something similar within the garage running 40mm pipe from as near the boiler as practicably possible to the gully and never again had a freezing problem. Some ice did form on the end of the pie on bad days as I could not extend it into water as the gully did not have a water trap but never again did it completely block and shut the boiler down.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You mean, 'Perhaps the installer naively assumed that it would be a properly fitted gutter.'

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Mine's 19mm on a NW-facing wall; even down to -10C it's never frozen. It goes through the wall and immediately down at ~40 deg. As the condensate is warm and goes in pulses, not a trickle, freezing is unlikely. Been OK for just over 23 years.

Reply to
PeterC

Just what I did (well my CH engineer did after I suggested it). Worked fine for a few years until a heavy snowfall one winter. Gutter filled with snow, which then froze solid, as did the end of the condensate pipe. Ended up fitting a condensate pump near the boiler and ran polythene tubing (insulated) from its output, up into the loft, across to the soil pipe and discharged into that. Still working fine 10 years later.

Reply to
Davidm