combi boiler recommendations

I'm after some recommendations for a new combi boiler. The house is a 2 up, 2 down terrace, one occupant (me), who mostly showers rather than baths.

I've had a look around, but don't really know what specs I should be looking out for. Price wise I can go to around £500, maybe a little higher.

Parents have a Potterton, and would recommend them, but I ain't got a clue as to who is good, and who isn't.

Reply to
Alastair Rainsbury

Avoid Ravenheat at all costs. The Potterton Suprima range also gets a bad press.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

I have heard a lot of bad reports about Ravenheat in the past, but recently not as much as Worcester. I personally, have a Ravenheat - 1 problem in about 4 years so far.(touch wood). My dad got a Biasi from B&Q good boiler, no problems, but people think it is sh#t because it is cheap.

10 people will tell you 10 different stories. What you should worry about, is the back up call service. ask about how quick they repond to faults, big manufacturers tend to be poor, cheap manufacturers dont have the resources, go for something in the middle.

mike

Reply to
mike

Vaillant and Worcester-Bosch are allegedly good makes, but they are perhaps a little more expensive than other makes. Oh, and don't involve British Gas in any way in supplying/fitting your new combi appears to be the other general advice going around; they're stupidly expensive.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

In message , Alastair Rainsbury writes

Dont get a Jaguar from Plumb Centre - nobody knows how to fault find, and spares are not off the shelf.

My Corgi plumber has just fitted Worcester Junior Combi 24i to a couple of flats for me, and I have the larger, (in size), Worcester Combi 24i in 4 other flats - all seem to work fine and, where I have older ones which have gone wrong - the problems seem to be easy to fix with off the shelf parts.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I have a Potterton Lynx2 combi, which is about 8 years old. I had a problem when it was just out of gaurantee and it cost £200 just to get the manufacturer to send someone out to look at it. He fitted a new circuit board and everything was fine (this was done within the £200). Since then I have found a local guy who services it every 12 months and he told me that the circuit board costs £35 plus callout!

Other than the manufacturers rip-off charge it has performed well. It has been used by 4 people virtually everyday, except for holidays, for showers, washing up and washing clothes. It gives us so much HOT water out of the shower head if we forget to turn the heat down, that we have to add cold water to it - it then becomes an over power shower.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Williams