collapsed compression joints

VASTLY? read my first reply to Redeye

3/4 turn and another 1/8 if it weeps = 7/8 of a turn from hard hand tight Calor say 1-1/4 and the difference is HOW MUCH you and Drivel make a good double act he has trouble reading and you cant add-up must be why you use the squeak method of plumbing

Reply to
George Tingsley

Ok I thought from your first reply to me you were one of the gang

Reply to
George Tingsley

Good. Nice to know you are learning.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How dare you associate me with senility. You are right, the joints should not be overtightened.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please learn news group etiquette and don't shout (caps) - it makes you look like the newbie you are.

If 1 1/4 turns are what is needed, why mention 3/4? The difference is over

50% so hardly an accurate figure. To a newbie seeking advice - as some are

- it's a recipe for confusion and leaks, and those are *far* more likely than problems through over-tightening.

Perhaps you were taught a different way of adding up where large errors didn't matter. Just as well you're not giving 'advice' on fitting shelves into an alcove.

However, any engineer would tell you that a given number of turns is only a rough guide on a device like this. And certainly not the best one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no, mine aren't on. which makes it boring. unbalanced, i thought.

mk5000

"we got all the crs we want, all the houses we want, all the clothes we want. all the jewelry we want, all the hos we want"--meech and bmf, the raw report<

Reply to
marika

Reply to
George Tingsley

This is quite intresting. I did not know one could understand a massage. Honestly, this could be on the level of learning the dolphin language and learn when a hurricane is about to develop. This could be greater than teaching a monkey sign lanugage. This couldbe great than teaching a dog to wash its paws before shakingyour hand after it has licked itself.

My god.. this could be greater since the invention of pre-cut hotdog buns!

Reply to
Lester Mosley

It's a guide even your favoured calor web page says its a guide We have already covered all the reasons why it can only be a guide This discussion is all about how to instruct someone new to compression fittings and is having problems

What would happen if our apprentice followed your advice to the letter

Goes to toolbox and picks up a large pr stilsons Nope mr plowman says these are silly and I cant use them Finds a proper engineers spanner that fits the end caps But note NOT the proper spanner that you had in mind our apprentice is still on the basics mind reading comes later in the course

ah great mr plowman say I cant overtighten with one of these then proceeds to screw down the end caps until the threads start to scream with the amount of force being applied

the outcome of this would be one very buggered and leaking fitting

very funny given your previous plumbing advice

I think I can now claim case proven You will probably need the last word any authoritative source on the www that agrees with your plumbing advise for novices would be good otherwise it will be just more bullshit and best ignored by everyone

Reply to
George Tingsley

Not mine, pet. You're the one who quoted it to support one of *your* arguments. Personally I don't much like it. Showing that fitting dripping with gunge is pretty meaningless.

OK

And rightly so - they will mark the fitting, especially if chrome plated. But perhaps this doesn't bother you?

Perhaps you'd explain that? Spanners come in near standard lengths appropriate to their across flats size. But those who only use pipe grips and Stilsons won't be aware of this.

And I'd hope he'd be supervised by a journeyman until he learns how to do something properly. But as your apprentice it seems not. Perhaps you might name your firm so we know to avoid it? Especially if you're as cavalier with using untrained personnel on safety critical supplies.

A groan has turned into a scream? Probably the pipe grips you so love slipping and removing skin from the aforementioned apprentice. Hope you have to fill in the accident report and take more care of your charge in the future.

Often happens with apprentices who aren't properly supervised and taught by craftsmen.

You've hardly given good advice in this post have you? More made a complete fool of yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mr Plowman is chastising you, by the look, for capitalizing some words. I don't know why, they add appropriate emphasis. "marika" is putting an unknown point of view in, with an incomprehensible quote at the end. I shouldn't worry, you seem to be doing reasonably well.

Watch out for strangely cross-posted groups, in this case alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley. This one sounds like a case of someone's inflated ego.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Where has he given bad advice? I can't see it. I can see advice on tightening fittings 'till they groan, which is rubbish, and using PTFE tape, also rubbish, and that the correct spanners are of a length that makes it impossible to overtighten these joints, also rubbish.

I disagree. I should just drop it, IIWY.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You saw mention of PTFE tape in that post?

Using the correct spanners on any nut makes overtightening less likely. That's why they are of different lengths according to the nut size. As anyone with a modicum of engineering knowledge would realise.

You'd be happy with a clueless apprentice working in your house while not under supervision?

Fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Judge Not If you're not ready for judgement-Woah oh oh! The boat of life is rocking And you may stumble too"--bob marley

Reply to
marika

the previous guy complained about caps being like shouting, mine weren't and aren't on, so i must be whispering i think that if this guy is right about the caps thing, then people who capitalize part of their messages are screaming one letter out of their message. it's a bit unbalanced i think to scream out only one letter in a sentence and a few in paragraph. so i figured that to balance it out i would only whisper

mk5000

"I'll cause you know more sorrow One cup of coffee than I'll go I brought the money Like the lawyer said to do"--bob marley

Reply to
marika

Thanks for you help Chris

Reply to