Cold weather condensing boiler breakdowns x 2 Frozen condensate pipes

snip

Not long before I reading this yesterday one of my sisters, resident in Humberside, reported on Facebook that her ch had packed up. Reading this, I rang her and suggested that she checked the outlet. She phoned a few minutes ago and said that she hadn't been able to sort it out last night, it was too dark and getting too cold, but this morning, after removing the right-angle bend from the end a plug of ice fell out, so she had the heating back on before the plumber she'd phoned yesterday turned up. He said that he had seven more similar calls to attend to after hers. [Sister had had this problem before but didn't know what had caused it.] So thanks from brother in Leicestershire for the tip that helped sister in Humberside.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

My last CORGI used acid spray flux as a cooldown spray, and leak detector. You can imagine the corrosion appearing later (even on gas).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andrew Gabriel wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 10:50

I've had that problem with lead free joints. By the time I've heated it enough to see a visible ring all round, there's usually a blob on the bottom.

However, it looks neater than that after I've wiped a damp rag over it.

It's surprising how much can remain inside. I'm fairly liberal painting heat activated flux on my water pipes joints (gas is obviously a special case demanding much more care and much less liberalism!) and it shows on the first flush out with water.

Reply to
Tim W

Ashford's a bit far away, or I might :-)

Whenever Operation Stack is used (part of the M20 is closed & used as a giant lorry park when the ferries/tunnel is out of action) many local entrepreneurs' spring into action and do just that. As well as a few ladies of the night alledgedly.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I posted in the hope that the information would possibly help others. As it happens I am also in Humberside or to give its correct name East Yorkshire in my case. John (who has a pre-condensing type oil fired boiler with a Riello burner and it runs just fine)

Reply to
cynic

Well if ever there was an example of "supply meeting demand" thats got to be it;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm vaguely planning on replacing my (non-condensing) boiler in the next few years. The condensate drain is definitely going inside!

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Sounds like a bit of a bodger to me :^)

Heh! One of my customers called me up with no heating or hot water (combi) after Brutish Gas had been and done their annual service. Turned out they'd left the gas emergency control valve off after doing a tightness test. Sorted over the phone, though I suppose I should have gone over and checked the test nipple.

Reply to
YAPH

British Gas! Service??? Tightness test???

Since when??????

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Sounds like a cowboy.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A disgrace. Elbows everywhere. Professionals only use elbows where needed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It should not ice up. Get it sorted.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In the past few days I saw a lump of ice stuck to the pavement about 1.5 inch thick. I was dangerous. Above was a dripping condensing boiler flue. The flue was fitted incorrectly and facing down giving a constant condensate water drip.

I have also seen this with dripping pressure discharge pipes, where the homeowner just changes the dial back up to 1 bar by turning the filling loop tap. Sealed boilers can be a nuisance and also condensing boilers. They are a nuisance in blocks of flats where our Eastern European friends and the average Corgi (Gas Safe) cowboy has been at work.

In modern flats with high insulation values they only fit electric heating, and quite right too, as all these pipes and flues look a mess on the side of blocks.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Get rid of the pipe and fit an internal condensate pump.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I wish people wouldn't tar all BG installers with the same brush. Whilst I enjoyed Stephen Fry's likening of BG, as an organisation, to a pelican[1], they do have a huge number of engineers working for them and inevitably there will be a range of competence amongst them. A few years ago I had the good fortune to be present while a more senior engineer took a less experienced one through doing a landlord's gas safety on a boiler, and I was impressed (and learned a thing or two) by how thoroughly they did it.

At one point they discovered that the foam casing seal had been augmented with silicone to get it to seal properly and the senior guy remarked that "that would have been X" (where X was another BG engineer who had done the inspection previously).

[1] they can both stick their bills up their arse :-)
Reply to
YAPH

I agree. Some years ago we had a full CH/plumbing contract with them, and the ball valve failed completely on the cold tank in the loft. Young guy came out, fitted a new one that had a longer thread on the 'outside', and tilted the whole connection sideways. A few hours later we noticed water dripping through the ceiling.

They sent an older guy out who said a few rude words about the younger one, then proceeded to do the whole thing properly. Trimmed the pipe, fitted isolation valve, and TESTED it!

Unfortunately they are all retiring...

Reply to
Bob Eager

This wasn't about two weeks ago? There is a house about two miles away from me that exploded.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Yes, we know you were ...

in possession of a hacksaw

Reply to
geoff

I don't think age has much to do with it. As I mentioned in this saga:

the ones who found and mended the real fault were at the young end of the scale. I suspect that the employee selection methods BG uses are unreliable.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Maxie, did you sneak this ice there? Your turned down wellies must great in this weather. Fantastic Maxie, fantastic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel