Coiled plastic pipe.

I am plumbing in a series of water butts to a tap by the greenhouse and have bought a 15 metre coil of 15mm easyplumb pipe.

I want to lay it in a straight line.

It wants to remain in a coil.

Before I waste a load of time on the job ........ any suggestions as to how to straighten it?

Is it as simple as running hot (55degC) water through it?

Reply to
Stanley

Hotter than that.

You really need to get it up to around 80C, then straighten it and hold it straight as it cools.

Reply to
Grunff

Would blowing steam through it be too hot and deform it? It's only going to be used at about 4 feet of head so the ability to resist pressure is not critical. Shape is important though as I will want to be able to fit it into elbows etc.

Reply to
Stanley

Depends how hot the steam is :-)

I've straightened pipe by pouring hot water (out of the kettle) through it, and by baking in the oven. Both methods work fine and don't damage the pipe.

Reply to
Grunff

Attach it to a wallpaper steam stripper if you can,sorted in no time.

The hose that comes with steam strippers is a bugger to straighten when cold but soon as the steam has passed through it, softens the coiled hose.

Reply to
George

Thank you both for the information. Great help. :)

Reply to
Stanley

Well if appearance is important then fair enough but the bend shouldn't stop you fitting it into an elbow and putting the elbow where you want. Otherwise jobs would never get done with coils. If straightness is so important try to return the coil and get 3m or 6m straight lengths instead.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander