Clearing snow ....

from pavement outside terraced huse.... Most of it solid so I'm sorely tempted to whip out my heat gun and melt the crap away.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

wasting your time.

I tried to defrost a fridge that way.

angle grinder and hot salty water.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Spade (don't usually need a shovel so have not got one) and stiff broom. And a few handfuls of dishwasher salt. And quite a lot of exercise.

For the first time yesterday I saw a group of people clearing the end of a road together (a steep turn which would block them even if the rest of their road were not too bad). Quite obviously is was impassable to most vehicles but it took them a while to do anything despite the considerable number of people who live up that road.

On my little bit I seem to be the only one who has actively cleared snow but someone at the other end of the loop has been sprinkling a bit of grit/salt. And several people have been driving over the snow making it into a very slippery packed ice.

And the good old journos come out with all the legal pitfalls of clearing. Wish they would put up a few articles about the best techniques, how good it can be for you, etc.

Reply to
Rod

Off on a tangent from that. Up until the early 60s (first spotted it when I just joined the RN), they used a water bowser to keep the roads and much of the pavements clear. They topped it up with sea oggin then drove around the town, spraying it from front and rear spray bars. Kept the town wonderfully clear of snow and ice. Don't really know why they stopped it as sea salt probably couldn't be more damaging than road salt they use now. Spect I will now get shot down. :)

Reply to
Old Git

There's one council (Staffs., Cheshire? - that wayish) that's wetting the salt as it's fed to the spinner. Apparently it acts more quicly and spreads better than just salt.

Reply to
PeterC

sounds a simple solution - that's usually enough for some feckwit to want to "make their name" trying to "iimprove" things, then move jobs before they get rumbled, to work for another local Council...

maybe they got fed up with all the turds, noddies and tampons that got stuck in the machine? :>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

The Sheffield Improvement Act 1818 makes it illegal for me to *not* clear the snow from in front of my property. Some Town Councillors were prosecuted in the 1870s to set an example.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I can't see how they can get away with that.

Normally the footway belongs to the local authority - not to the householder past which the footway passes. If it doesn't belong to the council (eg if the street hasn't been adopted), then I should imagine that the footway belongs to the householder and pedestrians use it at their own risk.

Unless when you say "in front of my property" you mean simply your driveway...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember jgharston saying something like:

Hang an Admiral or two to encourage the others?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

So we should hang Microsoft's search engine? :-)

Reply to
Rod

How long do they think it's going to take? ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I blame the council ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Quite right too. As long as government acts at every level as if we were a bunch of absolutely equal and definitely voting, complete and utter morons that must on no account do anything at all that conceivably can be done worse by a chain of 150 bureaucrats on high wages, mulling over the details of exactly what constitutes a risk assessment exercise, then there is no one else to blame BUT the government. At whatever level it has taken responsibility away from teh citizen and taken it into its bosom, as it were.

In short, once you step outside your front door, *everything* is the governments fault, because it adopts the attitude that people are stupid, irresponsible and cannot take care of themselves or their environment,without a plethora of detailed laws that dictated accetable standards of everything.

And, because the implication is that without those, there would be social chaos, the conclusion must be that people are not capable of running their own lives, and are therefore blameless in every way for behaving like the complete and utter brainless morons that the government forces them to be.

The cardinal sin today, is to behave as if you were an intelligent person capable of taking a decision based on experience. Only the rule book must be followed.

Simples!

As I mentioned before, Nu Laber has taken the absolute worst examples from British industrial management of the 40's and 50's and applied it to the whole nation.

Namely mushroom management. Keep them in the dark and feed them on bullshit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Old Labour's problem was that they could never stop living in the 1930s, New Labour moved on about twent years, they think it's the 1950s.

Reply to
djc

they are well on their way to recreating it.

Poverty Power cuts coal burning. Austerity Rationing Widespread illiteracy and innumeracy. Drowned in government debt.

Still, with luck we have the swinging 60's to look forward to again.,.once the bastards are history.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not much illiteracy and innumeracy around in the 20th Century. Not 'till the back end anyway.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The message from Tim W contains these words:

Burning bras and bare-chested women with bristly legs and bristly chins?

Reply to
Appin

Appin wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 20:59

London Naked Bike Ride?

Reply to
Tim W

Never have to buy sandpaper again, tho'