Cistern control valves

OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets.

An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the overflow will handle.

Any suggestions? An inline restrictor of some sort?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd be interested to see an answer to this too. When we replaced the bathroom basin taps with 1/4-turn ceramic ones, I'd forgotten that it would now be simple for "little hands" to turn the tap on full. As it is at mains pressure, you can imagine the result of doing that! So I also use the isolator valve to cut the flow right down. But, as you say, it is very noisy.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Jeff Layman wrote in news:pjs58r$o1i$1@dont- email.me:

Look at "Pressure Reducing Valves" on a plumbing site.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In message , Jim K writes

Yebbut... I think the issue is restricting the flow rate by creating a vortex/slot.

A pressure regulator and restrictor would do a better job but there are

3 bogs and you are required to fit an isolating valve anyway.

Bar showers have restrictors fitted. I just wondered if there was an easy fit, in line job. Perhaps those microbore tap connectors have their uses after all.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The French use isolating valves specifically for toilet cisterns and they seem to work better to adjust the flow, as they are not ball valves:

The above link shows right-angle and in-line versions.

There is probably something similar in the UK - I just happen to know them from France and from the toilet that I bought there and brought to the UK.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Hmm.. not come across anything like that here. Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb