Church sound system.

I've been involved with countless temporary PA rigs in all sorts of locations for TV - which often involves getting sound from a member of the audience, or a presenter moving among them while talking. And my rule of thumb is you can't have too many speakers as close as possible. It's also true that a good hand held mic beats a personal one on the lapel too - but as in TV you may have to think of the look of the thing.

And the snag is some members of the committee dealing with this prefer the look of a roof mounted array to wall speakers. My personal view is decent wall mounted speakers are the way to go. The walls of the church are plain plaster apart from the stone surrounds to the windows, so I suppose any speaker will be rather obvious.

I've already been down the route of using a different mic setup with the minister with my brother, and it's not on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And should still be done as it is the only way some oldies manage to hear well.

Reply to
F Murtz

As far as I know it still works.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As a community thing, churches ought to be great, but they suffer by being full of intransigent and righteous people with too much time on their hands.

ReligionUK is dead in the water as it doesn't have anything to offer. The majority don't want to be lectured on a Sunday morning and have far better things to do with their time. That and they can see through the thin veil of (attempted) social control.

I went to Midnight Mass last year as I live 100yds from the church and it's a terribly convivial thing to go to the pub (80yds) beforehand, see faces down for xmas I've not seen for a while and then stagger over for a bit of a sing song.

I'm never going again.

It was the most painfully dull, dreary hour possible to spend. Being lectured by the dullest man in the village (the Rector had just moved away so we had a lay preacher), made to listen to dirges from the choir, given the dullest hymns to sing, forced through what amounted to an entire Sunday Service of mouthed responses - it wasn't uplifting, fun or enjoyable.

The attendance was down on the year before and this year it'll be even worse.

Reply to
Scott M

I do a lot of AV work in churces and boggle at some which have reams of equipment that only one person (and sometimes less than that) knows how to use and wonder why they bother.

However, projectors and accompanying powerpoint presentations of words for hymns, etc, are mystifyingly popular with the ordinary folk in the pews.

Reply to
Scott M

Falacy these days. Hearing aids with T position switches are dying out, the ordinary earpieces are now very good. That and, IME, most loop systems don't actually work. No-one posesses a loop tester so can't tell if the system works and asking chronically deaf members of the congregation just elicits nods as they quite like the peace and quiet.

Not a bad thing, either. Loop systems are the very devil with modern kit about due to the RF wash they chuck out.

Reply to
Scott M

Yes, its not a solution to for every church in every town. However, there s eem to be quite a few (including one I used to attend) where the building f eels like a millstone around the congregations neck and the radical approac h of selling the church and moving might free up a lot of energy and enthus iasm that is otherwise being sucked away by worrying about the building.

OTOH if there's no where to move to and the building can pay for itself by being rented out then it doesn't make sense to sell up.

However what sometimes seems to happen is that the congregation is aging an d there's not enough money to convert the building to make it suitable for other uses so it is dying a slow death.

Reply to
matthelliwell

I do - I bought it from Canford. It wsn't very expensive,either.

Reply to
charles

In the pantos, they used to have the bouncing ball on the words.

Reply to
GB

In Elizabethan times, a Vicar would be expected to give a sermon lasting

3-4 hours, without any artificial aids, except perhaps a sounding board above the pulpit.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It wasn't a too serious suggestion, but that is not a small congregation. One of the local churches is lucky to get into double figures.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It seems small to me - it was packed every Sunday when I were a kid. About

500+.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I once worked for a large company that was often needing venues for meetings, breifings, courses and team events. We normally went to proper conference facilities in hotels. A colleague (with much mocking) used a village hall. The Womens Institute did the catering, The Scouts laid out the furniture. The events saved the company loads of money and it helped the village hall funds considerably. Good lateral thinking.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Then join the Scouts.

Reply to
ARW

My dad says that in his young day, in his mining village, the churches in all their manifestations were just about the only place to meet girls. For that reason he reckons the C of E and the Methodists were jointly responsible for a great deal of illicit sexual intercourse.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

*cough*
Reply to
Tim Watts

I put a TV system in a converted church a few years ago. For some reason there was a ground floor flat only in the tower area. The flat had a suspended ceiling and it was really weird to lift a tile and look up all the way to the tower roof, fifty feet above. I couldn't have lived in that flat, with all that voided space just above me, and only a sus ceiling to protect me from falling masonry.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Or getting locked up for kiddy fiddling.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In our church we find many denominations in the collection bowl. Especially in September.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The worst thing is when they modernise the hymns. "We plough the fields with tractors" my arse. And as for all that happy crappy business!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright