Church sound system.

Rotary / Round Table / etc.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

OK - I thought they were for old people who lived in Egham...

Reply to
Tim Watts

[snip]

Why has that church had to replace a PA system so often?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Fill a coffee can with heavily roasted coffee pieces. Add a paper bag over the top, cut a hole and put ali foil over it. Pull tight and wrap coper wire round it. You now have a highish power carbon mic :)

Nex you'll need a hard drive magnet, feeler gauge strip and relay coil to make a moving iron speaker. Add a large varnished cardboard horn. Plug into dc mains. Sorted!

If you need a radio mic, you can generate the 40kHz with a carbon arc. Might need a large aerial. And huge battery.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The former are the big problem. I was involved in a church redevelopment that was resisted by the locals for years and made various lawyers lots of money. At one point they produced a thousand signature 'save OUR church' petition: if a fraction of said thousand had actively supported said church there wouldn't have been a problem.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

My church here in Melbourne meets in a cinema as do several others. It's a win/win: the cinema wouldn't be making any money from the space at 1000 on a Sunday morning and we don't have any of the issues that my last church had: cleaning, heating, maintenance etc. And we have a bigger and better screen and sound system than most :).

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I'm afraid you don't know this minister. He has problems with the 'interview' hand held mic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, the total time SWMBO has been going there is over 40 years.

When they decided they needed a loop, they had the money for a complete new system. I think maybe at that time the small family run first PA installer was winding down his business, so.......

The second system was installed by another very local family run business that I had been very impressed by and that I recommended. I had heard their PA in clubs and had seen them provide very short notice temporary systems for, for example, a Hillsborough Memorial service at a football stadium.

I believe the last change was made because the church wanted a radio mic and an additional speaker to cover the altar area behind the lectern. Politics intervened and, as far as I can tell, the results have been extremely disappointing.

My only involvement was to recommend and then walk away. As far as I can tell, when my recommendations were followed, the systems were good.

Reply to
Bill

It's a largish church with a variable sized congregation. And they want a neat permanent installation. Which requires as little work as possible. It already has radio mics and a couple of speakers. Not good enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In most UK cities there are probably 20 times more churches than cinemas.

And if your cinema is anything like the local ones here it would be totally useless for the type of service in my brother's church. It would be more like an old church with pulpit, etc - or rather a fairly fixed position for the minister. And with that, there was little need for a PA system as churches were designed around this idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it is small enough, individual radio headphones, which would avoid any problems with church acoustics.

That would probably prevent its use for social and community purposes during the week. Churches seem to be trying to move back to being community centres, as they were in medieval times, rather than simply being centres of worship.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On 26/03/2014 18:44, Mike Barnes wrote: ...

Get a vicar with a louder voice and put him back in the pulpit :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

An hotel with a wedding licence can offer a complete package - wedding, reception and not far to stagger to bed after the reception.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

When my daughter was first working for the church - some 20 years ago, I noticed the Rector was using a radio mic - quite unusual for the time. I asked why and said "I have 4 srevices to take in tehn morning, This means I have still a voice left at lunch time to talk to my family"

Reply to
charles

Churches have amalgamated before now, although that does depend upon them being close enough and, usually, one being left without a vicar after retirement, death or a move.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

and sometimes many denominations share a building

Reply to
charles

Low frequencies carry better, so you need a deep voiced vicar, which probably means him.

Wimp :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

no - he wasn't he was a big Australian rugby-playing type. But he probably had never been taught voice projection.

Reply to
charles

I suppose the fad of Powerpoint accompanyment to the service also needs to be included. However did we used to manage. I think the "technology" attracts a few members of the congregation and they get a bit carried away with it all.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Congregation varies from about 50-150. But more on special occasions. Don't think headphones would go down well with wedding guests.

There is also the problem with getting enough volunteers for the various tasks necessary before a service. Adding in the care of headphones would likely be the straw that broke the camel's back. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)