Chipboard flooring

I need to install some new pipes under a chipboard floor in a bedroom

I know how & where to safely cut into the joists below , but can som one tell me the best way to cut & remove a section of flooring

-- Pipesliced

Reply to
Pipesliced

I'd use a circular saw, set the blade to the thickness of the board so you don't cut any pipes. check for nails/screws first

Reply to
In2Minds

Yes, take the section you up need to cut.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

How would he know the thickness to set the blade? assuming anyone is daft enough to cut it whilst its down.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

well it's likely to be 12mm or 18mm, start at 12mm maybe ?

how else will he get it up if it's "nailed" down (the OP didn't say) ? and what if he can't take the whole board up ?

Reply to
In2Minds

Hence my sarcastic remark to his post i.e is it T&G, is it in sheets, or is it as a whole?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not usually practical IME. With T&G boards that run under partition walls (or are at least locked in by skirtings) cutting out a section is often the only way to go.

Access panels can be taken out with a trend routabout and the bit removed then goes into a frame to make a suitable cover for the hole later.

Plunge cut with a circular saw is good for big areas - depth will usually be 18mm or more. A jigsaw with a cut down blade will also work.

Reply to
John Rumm

My chipboard flooring has the brand name of CaberFloor. It is 600mm. wide and 22mm. thick and the surface has a water risistant green coating on it.

I always screww this stuff down so that it is possible to lift in the future.

As others have said, set you circular saw to 22mm. depth or the thickness of your chipboard.

I had to cut an 8 inch chnnel to lay some C/H pipes. When I put the T&G back it did bow downwards between the joists when I stood on it. To cure that I screwed a 390mm.strip of 4x2 to the chipboard so that it fitted between the joists. Alternatively you could make a frame betwwen the joists for the T&G to sit on, similar to making a ceiling hatch.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

-->> I need to install some new pipes under a chipboard floor in a bedroom

->> ,

->> I know how & where to safely cut into the joists below , but can some

->> one tell me the best way to cut & remove a section of flooring ?

->>

->

-

-How would he know the thickness to set the blade? assuming anyone is = daft

-enough to cut it whilst its down.

Drill a small hole into a joist away from possible problems and measure = the thickness of the board.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Please quote, with quote=20 character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.=20 Threads often contain 100s of posts dozens layers deep. Other people=20 use different newsreaders, they do not see or do what you see and do.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

->> I'd use a circular saw, set the blade to the thickness of the board=20

->> so

->> you don't cut any pipes.

->> check for nails/screws first

->

-> How would he know the thickness to set the blade?

->

-

-well it's likely to be 12mm or 18mm, start at 12mm maybe ?

-

-> assuming anyone is daft

-> enough to cut it whilst its down.

->

-

-how else will he get it up if it's "nailed" down (the OP didn't say) ?

-and what if he can't take the whole board up ?

find a joist and cut in the enter of it so that when replaced both halves will rest 1/2 on the joist.

-

[...]

Doctor Drivel