Chimney internal and external 'fixtures'

Hi all, Following on from my OT: post below entitled 'New Build Chimney question' the subject has entered the arena of D-I-Y. I have presently got bits of stone and hailstones pinging from out of the chimney all over my nice new fire, hearth and laminate. I know absolutely nothing about chimney fittings and would like to know if there are devices that can be put into a chimney to stop this cascade without blocking the venting effect. I realise that I'm going to have to cap it but I can't see how this is going to stop the hail and grit. Any info would be really appreciated, especially links to uk supplier websites. ...or am I going to be stuck with a daft looking fireguard :-) I would also like to hear about any other inventive ways people may have got around this problem. Bloody new houses ... I'm never going to move again .... I hope.

Cheers, Keith

Reply to
Keith D Pipex

While you do obviously need a chimney cap, a firescreen should help to stop the hail and grit landing on your floor.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

You can get chimney pots that have a roof on them, the smoke comes out the side. You can get them that also fit into the top of the existing pot.

I suggest you measure your pot before you buy, the size is difficult to judge from the ground, as I learnt to my cost .........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Well, we had an open grate gas fire fitted a year or so ago. It's not the same kind of house - Edwardian, chimney (fortunately) tested fine for leaks, so we didn't need lining.

However.... we just had a ridge tile over the opening at the top at the time, ISTR that the chimney sweep said that these weren't considered compliant for gas fire installations any more - the gas fitter concurred. So, he came back, fitted a pot and something called a "UFO" on top - basically a cap with mesh around it that sits in and on top of the pot. Was maybe about £150 all in including fitting.

So, if what the sweep and the fitter said was accurate and that a gas fire must have suitable protection from not just water ingress but nesting birds and insects, then the builders and the fitter that commissioned the fire have no leg to stand on. If they commissioned a fire in a non-compliant setting then they must have transgressed the gas regs, and it most certainly would not be up to you to fit suitable protection.

I'm sure that Mr Sirett and/or the other gassers around here would be able to verify or reject this detail.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Thanks for the advice guys. A sweep is coming around with a UFO on Sunday. I'll ask him about the regs etc.

Keith

Reply to
Keith D Pipex

Did he have any comments on the regs? I'm curious to see if my recollection is correct...

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

recollection

'Fraid not. Cost £80 inc. sweep for the cap so the job's done now. Ho hum.

Reply to
Keith D Pipex