new houses with chimney stacks now sporting a black external metal flue....

A new housing estate has gone up near me. All are 4 bedroom detached houses with chimnney stacks & chimney pots at both ends of the roof.

4 of these houses have since had wood or multifuel burners put in and they all sport an external black metal flue coming out through the wall from one of the downstairs romms amd then going up more or less parallel externally with the existing chimney and the final metre is adjacent to the chimney stack.

Why couldn't they use the the nearly new chimney stack that was built when the house was built instead of having a black pipe going up externally?

Reply to
SH

The chimney stacks may be nothing more than a decorative feature but in any case the flue required for a multifuel burner will have to meet insulation and anticorrosion standards

Reply to
John J

Also, modern houses are built to a certain level of airtightness. Putting a socking great chimney in a house blows a hole in your airtightness score. That's why they're using balanced flue gas appliances, duct non return valves and so on. Basically so the expensively conditioned (heated) air stays in the house and doesn't leak out (MVHR can be used to keep it fresh, trickle vents are a cheap and poor substitute). The chimney the housebuilder put on is either purely decorative or carriers their boiler flues or soil vent.

The homeowner, who doesn't know about airtightness, then drills a huge hole in their thermal envelope to install a flue for a woodburner. They torpedo their airtightness, resulting in a house with more draughts and more leakage of their heated air. But nobody tells them about this.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

SH snipped-for-privacy@spam.com wrote

Weird.

Maybe they were required to have fake chimney stacks as part of some insane scheme to keep new houses looking like the existing older houses. There have been some stupiditys like that on Grand Designs.

So they are only fake chimney stacks.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Heat? I've never considered it a good idea to still put chimneys into new houses. What is the point. I suppose boilers might need them, but if we really are serious about heat pumps, why bother, you don't need much more than a vent to get rid of cooking smells or even steam, but in the latter case you might prefer to use the heat and recycle the water. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because they’re probably fake chimneys. To people of a certain generation, a house without chimneys just doesn’t look right.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Watching new houses being built, we noted that the bigger ones had chimney stacks. Then looked at the building materials and they were one piece dummy chimneys, purely for looks. I assume that in the new builds this is a standard cosmetic feature. To support a real chimney stack you would have to have all the brick/block work from ground level based on a strong hearth, which costs money and also reduces the internal space.

A real chimney - why? If you need an appliance then you would install a flue.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

See almost any child's drawing of a house. Lollypop tree in the front garden, of course.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

The new build my daughter lives in is simply a decorative feature. Watching the build of the other houses on her development, the “chimneys” arrived fully assembled to match the brickwork and were craned up onto the roof and perched on the inner cavity wall and the first truss then the outer brickwork was built up to the chimney

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That is silly. Maybe they put them on for somewhere to put dishes and tv aerials?

The houses behind me were built in the late 60s and early 70s and none have chimneys, They do sometimes have a kind of flat cover thing with a gap all around that steam can come out of. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff