Cheap sloping bathroom floor ?

There's mould on the kitchen ceiling under the bath! I'm thinking of pulling up the floorboards, putting down 18mm OSB3 sloped to a point with some kind of drain. Then covering it with Lino or similar. Much cheaper and quicker than a wetroom kit like

Advice please george

Reply to
George Miles

The presence of mould may not be due to a leak although being under the bath makes that a favourite. I would expect to see water marks as well as mould, you did not mention any being present. Mould could be present simply through lack of ventilation and you have a cold spot allowing vapour to condense.

If it is a leak from the bath then the the most common cause is the seal between the bath and walls followed by loose piping either waste or to the taps. I would check out all of these before more drastic work. The bottom line is if a water leak is the reason for the mould you need to find it and sort before doing anything else, covering it up will not make the problem go away.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Leak was from a dripping pipe as well as from people splashing and getting out of the bath which cant be stopped, hence I want a sloping floor

[g]
Reply to
George Miles

Erm, well, surely underneath your lino will be damp and a breeding ground for mould. Main thing is to decide where the damp is getting in, also decide if it can be vented, Bathroom steam goes everywhere of course so its not uncommon to find what you describe in areas not often inspected. More ventilation of the room can do a lot to help. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

why would it be damp under the lino? I thought its waterproof.

If so then would floorbaords be better than OSB under the Lino as any moisture could escape down the gaps between boards (and cause mould where we can see it on the ceiling)

[g]

Reply to
George Miles

because

Just in case you don't know, black mould is bad news for health and must all be removed.

Reply to
tabbypurr

The mould comes from a leaky tap and bath spillages. When the floor is sloping and waterproof I will replace the plasterboard.

[g]
Reply to
George Miles