Charging a LDV Convoy battery without popping the hood

Another layer of unnecessary complexity. Just get a charger that restarts charging when the power comes back. They aren't expensive, certainly not as much as a charger + UPS.

Reply to
Chris Green

I'll keep my UPS for my home server and router thanks.

Reply to
Steve Walker

+1 Yes, if you can actually access it. Not that easy on some modern vehicles :( Had to do this on a Transit with broken door locks* and no bonnet release. At least on the Transit it was easy to get to the starter...

Lee

*Broken barrel, but would open with the remote fob - well when the battery wasn't totally flat that is :)
Reply to
Lee

Got into the bonnet, took the battery connections off, darn thing still would not take a charge. Put the connections on, jump started it, and now it is taking a charge.

Reply to
misterroy

On 01/03/2021 13:43, Steve Walker wrote: <SNIP>> The "bigger" one, is that if the electric goes off

Hint: For "dumb" buttons which use DC to directly control hardware (rather than being read and acted on by a microprocessor), soldering a

100nF polyester or ceramic capacitor across the pushbutton can be used to create a pulse at power up which looks like a "button push".

I've used this technique to force an external hard drive enclosure to turn on as soon as power was restored.

The capacitor only affects operation at the point power is turned on - the button works as before there after.

Reply to
John Kenyon

Yes, I have used that technique before. However, I don't want to break into the sealed (IP68) charger to modify it - especially as it does get transferred outdoors to charge cars on the driveway from time to time.

Reply to
Steve Walker