Central heating vent

I have an old type standard central heating system with hot water tank in the airing cupboard etc.

I understand that the hot water comes out the top of the hot water tank and that the hot water vent also come off this pipe.

My question is how hot should this vent pipe be? Mine is very hot and looks like it has actually started to burn the joist in the ceiling above! It is so hot that I can't tough it.

Is this right or should it merly get warm. Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
cj

What temp is the thermostat on that is clipped to the HW tank? Usually these are set to 60 degrees C.

Reply to
diy-newby

It will get as hot as the hot water thermostat is set to (assuming it is working) as the hot water will flow use convection up the vent pipe. This is normally 60-65degC and is set by a thermostat on the side of the tank. Even if this is faulty, in a vented system it cannot get above 100degC (the same as a boiling kettle). The burning you see is almost certainly from pipe soldering on installation.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

It should be pointed out that unless you are using this heated pipe to warm your airing cupboard, that the heat loss in it is quite significant due to the thermal circulation in the pipe. Apart from checking the temperature setting of the thermostat as my wise friends have stated, you should also heavily lag this pipe.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

A hot pipe cannot possibly burn a joist .

Reply to
Stuart B