I am having problems with my central heating system which is a boiler/
hot water tank type.
1. The downstairs rads are all ice cold except for the top third and
bits at the side that are warmish
2. The system gurgles and rattles.
3. The boiler cuts out (reset switch pops out) after about a minute of
4. Before it cuts out the hot water tank and pipes rattle like mad and
it feels like something's going to blow up. Theres also a loud
knocking in the boiler sometimes before it cuts out.
5. Both hot water and heating cause these effects
From what I have read this sounds like rust floating about in the
system clogging everything up. I have drained the rads and it was
pitch black liquid. System is about 15 years old.
Is it too late to be able to clear it out with a drop of chemicals.
Does it need a whole 'powerflush'?
- posted 12 years ago