Central Heating Inhibitor life?

Matt, it is 4 years.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I spoke with the technical departments of Fernox and Sentinel Performance Solutions and obtained similar answers from both of them.

- Longevity figures quoted are typical and not guaranteed.

- BS 7593 (Code of practice for treatment of water in domestic hot water central heating systems) calls for testing of inhibitor levels every year.

- If there is any tendency to water loss from the system, dissolved chloride salts in the make up water increase the load on the inhibitor. With an open vented system it is often not obvious that this is happening if the leaks are small - e.g. if the water is driven off by the heat.

- Closed systems typically have about a tenth of the concentration of dissolved oxygen as compared with open vented systems.

- If an open vented system is subject to any sucking down or pumping over, the load on the inhibitor is increased, apart from it being a serious problem anyway.

Given all of the above, the correct procedure is to test the inhibitor concentration annually. Taking bets on several £k of heating system is not prudent.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I just drain a small amount into a jam jar and put a nail into it. I put the same amount of fresh water into another jam jar with a nail. I leave for a few days/weeks and then compare the two. Water from central heating system showed no corrosion to the nail. Fresh water nail was all brown and rusty.

David Hearn

Is there an easy DIY test?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Run some into a large jam jar with a good sealing lid. The ideal time would be when it's not been hot for a while but has been pumped around (which will be maximum oxygen dissolved, if there is any). Add an iron nail (two if small) and a copper coin. Make sure the nail is bright and shiney, and not protected by a layer of oil. Seal the lid and leave the jar with the coin and nail touching. If there's no corrosion of the nail after a couple of weeks, the inhibitor is working. (It also works without the coin, but I think the coin speeds things up by generating some galvanic action.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes.

Sentinel, for example do two of them.

One is a quick test pack with all the bits (tablets and a test pot) to do two tests. About £2.50.

other is a ten test basic kit - about £9

vessel to line, add tablet and look for colour.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's similar to the "See how well it works!" tests that were shown in pamphlets um.. some years ago!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Reply to
Chris Bacon