Cement mix for rendering external walls in winter.....?

I am going to render the outside perimeter walls of my garden and rear yard. Because winter is now upon us, should I add anything to a 3 parts sand and 1 part cement mix apart from a little washing up liquid....?

As always, thanks in advance for your replies.

mogan

Reply to
morgan

For rendering it should be done in 2 coats

1st coat I would use a mix aof 75% leighton sharp sand (not river washed sharp sand ) and 25 % ordinary soft sand. Use this at 3 parts above to 1 part cement. Scratch it well when setting. Top coat just use leighton sharp in a 3-1 mix with cement. Do Not Use washing up liquid or any other palsitciser especially in the top coat. You will find that it will rub up a lot easier without. If Leighton sharp is not available then a lot of builders merchants have a special rendering sand. Soft sand will be too fine and not very easy to get a rubbed up surface
Reply to
Mike Taylor

2 coats of 4:1:1 Sand : OPC.:Lime

Lime tends to help prevent small cracks forming ' lime self heals' and also improves workability.

Use Waterproofer mixed in with the water for the first coat, well scratched up to allow good key to finings coat.

Do not apply if temp is going to drop below 5 degrees.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes