Ceiling stain

I've just repainted a bedroom ceiling that had been stained by a leak some years ago. The repaint seemed, initially, to have been successful but now it's dried the stain has reappeared.

Any suggestions on how to stop it reappearing after another repaint?

Dilute PVA?

TIA

Use stainblock paint over the stained bit before you paint the ceiling (oh, sorry!) - works very well.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Dulux/Polycell Stain Stop.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gloss undercoat, then repaint. Used that a number of times and works fine. Tip provided by our local painter.

Cheers.

Reply to
Happy Hunter

Why would a glue stop a stain? You need something that isn't water based.

Any oil based paint will do, though something dark to be covered with white emulsion isn't a good idea. You can get proprietary stain blockers but they are expensive compared to the left over can of white gloss on shelf...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Check out zinsser stain blockers. you can get them from the larger B&Q stores. The aerosol versions are particularly convenient.

diypaint

I used Ronseal "Quick Drying" Stain Block for exactly the same type of leak (from a tank I had in the loft many years ago). I used a couple of coats of the spray, then painted over with Dulux brilliant white rich matt. The Ronseal stuff can be overcoated after 10 minutes.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

That is about the only advantage of the proprietary stuff has over the left over oil paint route.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because PVA forms a 'skin'?

The white gloss sounds good so long as it won't alter the texture of the silk emulsion used to overpaint it...

But a water permiable skin.

I haven't noticed any effect on the overcoating texture.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'll give it a go then...