Ceiling options

I need to put up a really thin ceiling over the Kingspan I have placed between and under the roof timbers in an attic room. 6mm or less would be idea as head-height is marginal.

I am considering using 6mm ply or MDF and painting these. Any thoughts on how safe either of these would be with regard to their behaviour in a fire ?

Any other suggested products ?

Reply to
G&M

How about 6mm asbestos sheet? ;-)

Ok, maybe not. Would losing an extra 3mm really impact your headroom? If not, 9mm plasterboard would be my choice.

Reply to
Grunff

Unfortunately that still needs skimming so you end up at 11 mm. Doesn't sound much but as the room has a quite shallow V roof, it does have quite an effect on the usuable width of the room.

Reply to
G&M

If you use taper-edged plasterboard you can tape and fill, total 9mm, and have a significantly better finish than the ply or mdf (and no visible join lines).

Reply to
Grunff

...and if you are worried about getting a decent finish don't be. I have never worked with plasterboard before let alone jointing/filling. Last week I put up a new 12.5mm plasterboard ceiling in my bathroom using this method (following advice read in this group) and the end result is absolutely IMMACULATE. First couple of joins took a while though, but it really is easy when you get going. Surely a much better finish than ply/mdf. Also no doubt there are fire regs involved with putting ply/mdf on a ceiling?

If you want any tips on jointing/filling, let me know.

Reply to
Winged Cat