CD storage in drawers

Hi

A belated thansk to everyone who has helped me recently. Just one further question - I have tried to purchase

http;//tinyurl.com/5yepofrom woodfitbut it seems they are no longer available. Can anyone suggest any alternative storage system to keep CDs in a drawer?

Thanks

Reply to
richard

Ikea do one called Markor £89 - stores 330 - you may want to sand it down and re-varnish ....

============================

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Sorry - forgot to say, the drawers are being built by a capenter, so we're looking for some sort of insert that will fit into the drawers.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
richard

I hope that isn't a reference to previous discussion of CD storage in drawers, because if so I missed it.

We keep CDs in a drawer less formally, i.e. each one leaning on the one behind. This works well if the number of CDs fits the space available, so we've made the space adjustable.

Behind the rearmost CD there's a wooden block, the width of a CD case but only about 50mm high. To move the block, you reach under the drawer and loosen the butterfly nut which is on a piece of studding protruding from the bottom of the block. The block, stud, and nut then slide backwards and forwards in the cunningly-provided slot in the base of the drawer, and you tighten it all up wherever it works best. There are three rows of CDs in a drawer so we've got two low divider rails between the rows.

Hope this makes sense.

| ///////////////////// | 0| ///////////////////// _ | |///////////////////// |@| | ------------------------+--------- ^ Front Back

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If you like pain and distress. SWMBO against my objections bought two small tower cd racks (unfinished) knowing that yours truly would finish them. Now apart from being ugly: but joints at the corners so end grain obvious on tops, wood with widely different shade and grain I am instructed to use clear finishes. Did I mention that the thin wooden slats were practically rough sawn and splintered when sanded? or that when you put a finish on (sanding sealer on one, bare wax on another) the glue residue that was in the easy to see but hard to get at places turned black? It's a good job I ground some 6mm chisels into left and right handed skews. Very useful for scraping glue out of the spaces between cd slats. Stay well away from Ikea.....stuff.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Why not simply ask the minion in question?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I bought 7 of the 6 ft white melamine "Benno" racks - very well made and finished - my CDs are now neatly divided into 84 sub-genres. Contemplated making my own one piece job from contiboard but then remembered the brevity of the proverbial mortal coil.

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Ah but that would have been in the proper part of Ikea. Mercifully swmbo only drags me through the 'marketplace'. Melamine is good for the kid's room, and white is ok since you can now get melamine paints but other than that....

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Contemplated

Better than the "faux wood" option they were offering though, and it is my token "70s Sunday paper cube storage design icon". I may well have to get around to making doors for them so they fit in with my new decor .... I was going to suggest they could be sawn up and used horizontally as drawers, but then I remembered the adjustable shelves rely on gravity ....

Brugmansia

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Seriously? I have only three genres and I *still* have trouble deciding which genre some albums belong to.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If you have 84 sub-genres and 84 CDs it's very simple to decide! :-)

Reply to
usenet

Always a dilemna, some of my CDs get filed in different places depending on my my mood ...

Unfortunately not the case ....

If it wasn't for sound quality considerations I'd copy the whole lot onto a stack of big hard drives and cross-index to my heart's content.

To tell you the truth my system is in such chaos at the moment it's quicker to download a dodgy MP3 copy off the net than actually find the track I want :-(

In fact it's so chaotic I've even bought new copies of things I know I already own :-( :-(

Reply to
brugnospamsia

So catalogue the whole lot, number each disk consecutively so there's only one place on the shelf that it can go, and do the categorisation on your PC, not on your shelf. Using this approach you can catalogue in any order, when you have the time. The basic list never needs to be modified, only extended - you can have a field for present/sold/lost/broken/loaned ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

yeah but ......

I've developed this sort of "spatial" relationship with my music - way too many raves in the 90s (wore earplugs of course) "...and when I'm on form, my music selection is almost like ballet .... " (Time Out)

I may have to do what you say though before long - it's really getting out of hand ...

(gawd I really AM starting to sound like Frasier Crane - but I plead "middle age" and too much entheogenic experimentation ;-)

Reply to
brugnospamsia

Is Isaac Lord's

item 81064324 or 81064333 any good for the purpose?

Reply to
RichardS

You must have very fussy^h good ears. I've got all my CDs on one not particularly big hard drive (over 500 CDs on a 250 Gb drive and it's nowhere near full). I've done comparative listening tests and they sound every bit as good as they do on my Meridian and Linn CD players.

I'm actually constructing a web site about my PC jukebox, and I'll try to remember to post the URL here in a week or two when it's done. (Done? Hah! Abandoned, more like.)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I find there are a few tracks which don't take well to MP3'ing: a type which the allegedly 'hi-quality' settings of a Frauenhofer encoder didn't do well on is one where there's lots of flanging and short-delay reverb applied to breathy vocals (hey, it's *my* musical taste, right? ;-) On two such tracks, I've found the artefacts noticeable not just to careful listening, but intrusive enough to spoil the pleasure of listening.

But that's the exception - most tracks I too can't readily hear a difference between the MP3 and the original WAV on the same repro chain; and I don't want to put the time in to carefully A-B-X them!

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

I'm probably in denial about my ears even though I always took care in raves.

I certainly thought I could tell the difference 7 years ago when I bought my Naim CD player - I use it with a Leak valve amp and stacked Quad ESL57s which tend to show up limitations elsewhere.

Maybe it's time to do a scientific comparison - I hope I can still tell the difference having paid so much for my CD player !

Jeremy

Reply to
brugnospamsia

MP3? No chance. I wouldn't consider any lossy compression.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

My Meridian CD player wasn't the most expensive in the world but it was about £1600 retail. I don't mourn its redundancy - rummaging through piles of CDs is *so* 20th century.

Reply to
Mike Barnes