cavity insulation using cans of PU expanding foam

It isn't closed cell, and it's not used for buoyancy either.

If you want buoyancy then you buy a mix-before-use 2-part foam, mainly because it's an awful lot cheaper. You can get those in closed cell foams too.

Squirty foam for wall insulation sounds like the dumbest idea since Drivel took up plumbing.

Reply to
dingbat

The foam which expand less is sold at Toolstation (and not at Screwfix as I pointed out earlier). Thanks for all your suggestions... All in all, I don't think using PU foam inside cavity walls is such a dumb idea. I don't go along with those visions of doom (e.g. the walls will collapse) nor uninformed views (e.g comparing PU to polystyrene) etc. It is clear that proper use of PU foam is the key. PU foam in between the joist? We are talking of 450-600mm thickness! that certainly would take time to settle, days or weeks? One cannot compare the expansion occurring in big bulk of the foam in relation to a controlled and gradual build up which is only 20-30mm thick.

The cost involved is certainly one to consider...

The problem is that I would like to recycle the old bricks which are rather irregular in size and shape. The actual void sometimes is even less than 15mm; this precludes the use of suitable boards (e.g. Kingspan or Celotex).

Is there anyone out there who has direct experience with the subject?

Meanwhile, I am considering the old and trusted way of using insulation boards and dump the old bricks for new (and regular) ones.

Reply to
swimmydeepo

Alan J. Wylie

In article , Bookworm writes

Mr X

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Not a problem with the 2-part foam...

Mr X

send us the pictures then :)

in what way is suggesting PU foam with lots of small cavities filled by expanded polystyrene uninformed? Or is that not what you meant?

not by a long way, youve misinmagined there.

it was maybe 2" at most, before it decided to grow. But its your wall.

These are the walls most prone to damp problems following cavity fill. Foamed plastic cwi is also the most liable to damp problems, it doesnt sound like a good choice to me. On any grounds.

whats wrong with rockwool loft insulation roll? Its guaranteed not to produce damaging forces, will fill variable cavity size happily, is cheaper than PU, lasts longer, performs bettere wrt damp, etc

NT

Reply to
meow2222